Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glendonr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Switching 100 amp from fuses to breakers
    I need to change my 100 amp service from fuse to breakers. Am I allowed to do this by myself or do I have to have a qualified electrican? - Will hydro ask for one when you tell them that you need the power shut off for a few hrs. while switching over?
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 22, 2009, 04:18 PM

Are you pulling a permit? I think you'll need an electrician.

I doubt that you'll get the POCO (hydro) to pull the meter for you, the homeowner. Even if they do, they certainly won't reinstall it until the panel installation has been inspected.

Don't even think about pulling the meter yourself.

Nov 22, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Dan - I am not changing the meter - just the inside panel - already filed for the permit but it said nothing about a licenced electrician. - I have changed out panels in garages where the power supply came from inside the house, but never have changed a house service where I have to contact hydro to kill the power..
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Glen, Dan's reference to "pull the meter" is the means for disconnecting the power. The meter makes the connection between the service and the panel when in place.

Nov 23, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Thanks guys, I have enough info now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amp breakers [ 7 Answers ]

I found my mom's submersible pump wired to a two single pole 20amp breakers and there is a double pole 30amp breaker on the bus panel as well. I already know that all 220volt leads need to be on a double pole breaker in case one leg grounds out. So I switch the wires over to the double pole 30amp...

Changing from fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to change from fuses to breakers and when I got my breaker box hooked up I had power to my breakers but I didn't have power to my oulets or my lights. I think that it has something to do with the ground wire but I don't know how to hook that up. So I need to know how to hook a ground...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search