Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Asoom Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Questions need to be solved
    Hi everybody. .

I have also another 2 Q. . I hope that I get help. .

1- A 0.8720g sample of a mixture cinsisting solely of sodium brpmide and potassium bromide yields 1.505g of silver bromide .
    What are the percentages of the two salts in the sample?

2- Nickel dimethylglyoxime (H2C4H6O2N2) is a bulky precipitate that is inconvenient to manipulate in amounts greater than 175 mg . The amount of nickel in a type of permanent - magnet alloy ranges between 24 and 35% . Calculate the simple size that should not be exceeded when analyzing these alloys for nickel.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 01:14 PM

1. [First time I see such a question :o]

Find the amount of moles of silver bromide you have. I will denote it by 'z'.

You have the masses of NaBr and KBr which are 102.9 and 119 respectively.
    Let x be the amount of moles of NaBr and y that of KBr.
    You will therefore have x moles of Br^- together with y moles of Br^-.

Therefore you have :

And using the masses;
    [math]102.9x + 119y = 0.8720[math]

Using simultaneous equations, solve for x and y, the amount of moles of each compound. From there, find the mass of that amount, and the percentage mass will be automatic.

2. [That too, a new one to me :eek:]

Ok, find the amount of moles of the bulky precipitate from 175 mg. Then, find the number of moles of nickel present in that precipitate.

Find the mass of that amount of moles.

That mass makes up to at most 35% of the magnet. Find the mass of 100% using proportions. That's your answer, the maximum weight of the sample to be tested.

Now, if the amount was a minimum, you'll see that the precipitate will not exceed the 175 mg, since there are less nickel.

I hope it helped! :)
    Asoom Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    And using the masses;
    [math]102.9x + 119y = 0.8720[math]

from where you get 0.8720 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post

That mass makes up to at most 35% of the magnet. Find the mass of 100% using proportions. That's your answer, the maximum weight of the sample to be tested.

I didn't understand this point. .
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoom View Post
    from where you get 0.8720 ?
    Let's work backwards. How would you calculate the total mass of NaBr and KBr together?

You take the number of moles of the NaBr and KBr, multiply each one by it's corresponding relative mass and add them up. It turns out that the total is 0.8720 g as given in the question.

I said let x be the number of moles of NaBr, so, the mass due to NaBr is (23+79.9) x and that due to KBr is (39.1+79.9) . Adding them up should give the given sample mass; 0.8720 g

Quote Originally Posted by Asoom View Post
    I didnt understand this point . .
    This is proportions. You know the mass, or 'value' of 35%, find that of 100%.

It's like:
    25 % the mass of this apple is 1.25 g.
    100 % (total) mass of the apple is (1.25/25 * 100) = 5 g

Here, your sample has a certain mass you don't know. It's at 100% mass.
    You know that 35 % of that mass is nickel.

35% has a mass that you find, you can find the 100%.

Is it clear enough? Or still... sort of confused?
    pramod awasthi Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Dec 15, 2009, 12:01 AM

I don't no heheeh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solved, somewhat [ 5 Answers ]

Well, the contactor fixed my short problem and apparently when it went it took out the transformer with it. So after chasing that down everything is kosher now except that the compressor won't come on. I'm getting my required voltage to the terminal plug at the compressor. Even knocked it with a...

Ecu Problem Solved [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I just registered to this forum and this is my first post. I would like to thank the people who had the answes to my problem and also tell those of you with ecu problems to search these forums for their answers. If it can break chances are it already has, to someone else. My honda civic would...

4 qustions that should be solved [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 qustions that should be solved. Q 1 : A sphere rolling with an initial velocity of 9 m/s starts uo a plane inclined at 30 degrees. How far up the plane will the sphere roll For sphere I= 3/5 mr2 Q 2 : A steel bar 75mm diameter, starts from rest and roll without slipping down a...

View more questions Search