Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxine sczepanik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Help With Ants
    We live in a very sandy area and have lots of leaf cutter ants. (I'm not sure that is the correct name) The ants are red and have long spidery legs. They make trails when they are searching for whatever they are going to cut down. You may have a flower bed with beautiful flowers in it today and by tomorrow it could be gone. They actually strip all the leaves and carry them back to their nest. I have not found anything that will kill these ants. If I put out ant bait, they will disappear for a while but it does not kill them. I have spent literally hundreds of dollars on my yard only to have these ants ruin everything. Does anyone have any information on these ants? And is there anything out there that will actually kill them? Please help.
    bashkirhorses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Hi Maxine!

You might want to try some of the following solutions depending on your site and needs:

Garlic spray (this works well in deterring rodents too)
    Lime barriers
    Basil oil extracts
    Lemon grass and other plants that repel
    Plastic skirts with sap or long lasting adhesive
    Orthene dust

The ant colonies are huge (2 million ants+) so it will take awhile to kill all of them. They are territorial, so once you kill off the colony, chances are you'll have the problem under control. These are hard little buggers to get rid off though. Good luck!
    waynesworld Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2007, 05:56 PM
    I live in the DEEP south and we have to deal with a LOT of fire ants.
    The BEST thing I have found is Orothene.
    It comes in a round, tall container and stinks just like a rotten egg.
    There are a lot of different brands on the market, but make sure it stinks!
    Best of all, you only use it by the teaspoon, or you can mix and spray it on and around plants for a general pesticide.
    Works wonders down south!
    Good luck...
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
    If you can find the nest you can attack them there with the poison.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Ants in my home [ 6 Answers ]

Dose anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of ants, something that's safe for kids to be around?

Ants in the apartment, cats and anxiety! [ 1 Answers ]

Live on the third floor of an apartment building and am having a problem with small black/brownish ants. I first noticed them on a chocolate spill that I did not realize was there (silly cats knocked over a beverage). I IMMEDIATELY cleaned the spot, followed their trail, washed the trail and...

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

My kitten was covered in ants evan in her eyes now she's blind and dying [ 2 Answers ]

i found my kitten in my sisters room and it was compleatly coverd in ants evan in her eyes and mouth...i got them all of but now she is blind and she is dying..but i dont know what to do....i tried feeding her...and it did give her some energy....but not much...what should i do?

View more questions Search