Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAShirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Ultrasound in 1995?
    Hi,

I'm a writer busy on an article about a pregnancy in 1995 in South Africa. I wonder if someone can help me with terms.

At 12 weeks, I had some sort of ultrasound (I think) to ascertain whether I had aborted my pregnancy. The gynecologist carried the machine into the room, so it was portable. He put a transducer (gadget) onto my lower abdomen. We heard the heart beat immediately.

He subsequently admitted the machine wasn't really sensitive enough to pick up a heartbeat so early in pregnancy. However it did - and the "dead fetus" was born on time and is now the father of two.

Any help with terminology would be appreciated.

Thank you from S.Africa
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 09:20 AM
    What terminology do you need help with?
    SAShirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Would it have been an "ultrasound" in those days? There was no visual, only audio. Otherwise what would it have been called? Also the metal gadget they used on my belly. Would that be called a transducer?

It was a long time ago and I've forgotten what these things were called, but for the sake of accuracy in writing I want to be certain I use the correct terminology.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We think we saw a hb on my last ultrasound but nothing else, what does that mean? [ 3 Answers ]

I am between 6 and 7 weeks pg we aren't sure because I haven't had a period since jan 2008. I have gone to the dr 4 times already because of my history and we want a due date. On the last ultrasound we saw a flutter that we are pretty sure was a heartbeat but there really wasn't anything else on...

Ultrasound ?s [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

20 week ultrasound. [ 17 Answers ]

I went in for my lvl 2 u/s today and everything is looking great. The twins are weighing in at 10oz each. I've gained a total of 9lbs although I've lost two. We managed to find out the sexes today although they weren't as coperative as I had hoped for. It looks like we're having a boy(definately)...

View more questions Search