Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Nov 21, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Confused about Ovulation
    Hello all, as most of you know from my last post a few months ago, I had a tubal reversal on September 25th. After I got my first period my husband and I were given the go ahead to try and conceive. Before the surgery was done my husband had a semen analysis and I also had blood work done to make sure that my hormone levels are all up to par. All of those tests came back good. My question has more to do with ovulation. I have used an ovulation calendar to pinpoint when I am ovulating. But I am starting to see a pattern. I am wondering if it is at all possible that I am ovulating right after my period has ended. Is this even a possibility? The reason I think this is because last month after my period had ended, we waited until 3 days before I was due to ovulate again and then had intercourse straight through. And nothing, I got my period on November 9th. This month I decided to start trying right after my period ended. So that would have been Thursday the 12th. Now today I am slightly crampy and my period is not due until the 8th of December. I am not one of these people who sit here and go hmm and I pregnant? I will take a test in the next couple weeks to be sure but I am just wondering on this whole ovulation thing for future months if we didn't succeed this month. Is there an easier way to determine when I am ovulating? And could I be ovulating right away after my period? Has anyone ever heard of this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Let me change the tables by asking if the doctor's have told you the possible percentage of scar tissue you have in your fallopian tubes.

You see, reversal is NEVER guaranteed to work. The percentage is also dependent upon the length of time that you went between tubal ligation and reversal. The percentage of failed reversal increases with each year in between.

You see, during the tubal ligation, depending on what form you had, your fallopian tubes were damaged. More so with certain types of ligation, such as cut; tied; and burned. Then with the reversal comes more scar tissue.

Through my work in a medical malpractice law firm, and now a women's health nurse, I make sure my patient knows that the risk of conceiving is actually quite low.

I'd be interested to know (and I apologize, but I don't remember) more of your story so that maybe I could help you better.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you, but I, personally, have not met a woman who had a tubal reversal with a successful conception.

What statistics did your doctor give you, if any?

Nov 21, 2009, 10:59 AM

No worries, J9 I appreciate all of your advice. I had my tubes tied 7 years ago. Found out when I went to see the fertility doctor that the doctor who performed the tubal ligation only cut them. I had a diagnostic laparoscopy done by this fertility doctor to see if my tubes where even a possible to be put back together. I need to also point out that I did lots of research on doctors before choosing one. I don't know if I can legally post his name on here so I won't unless you tell me otherwise. But he is one of the top fertility doctors in the country and goes to Japan and china to teach other doctors about his procedure that he has patented. He did tell me that of his patients he has seen a 70% success rate with reversal. He did tell us that I was a very good candidate due to very minimal scar tissue. There was quite a bit of tube left to use was his words. Believe me, we knew that its not a guarantee but it was cheaper to spend the money once rather than multiple times do do IVF which we wouldn't be able to afford more than once. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Im not to the point of frustration yet, which I don't think I have any right to be as there are woman out there who try years to conceive. Doc told me if we are not pregnant in 3 months to go back in and they will do some kind of x ray (too long of a word) where they inject a dye and see if there is any blockage in my tubes. He seemed pretty hopefull with my hormone test results, my husbands semen analysis and the success of the surgery that we would conceive rather quickly.
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Kanicky, sorry, but your name reminds me of the guy from the movie Grease...

Back to the subject at hand... I am going to have to beg out for the moment, I am on hour 20 of being awake and a horrendous night at work.

I do want to say that I am glad you did not post his name for the world to see, but (and I know it's not typically allowed) if you will PM me his name and location, I will do some research on my own, and post here (without the name or location) anything I may find out.

It sounds as though, with a simple cut, that there should be little problem, but I'd like to do some research first. Even so far as going to ask my "guys" (GYNs) what their opinion is on this situation.

But for now, I have to get a little shut eye.

Until next time, please provide me with any additional info you may have here, without naming doctors or hospitals.

Nov 21, 2009, 11:30 AM

Haha, Yes most people think of grease. It's a long story how I got the nickname, will tell you some time.

Yes I will for sure PM you. Go get some rest! 20 hours is a long time to be awake. I will send you the info and any additional info you can get would be great. Just really confused about the whole ovulating thing and want to make sure I am not missing anything. Talk to you soon, good night ;-)
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kanicky73 View Post
    any additional info you can get would be great.
    Please keep checking back here for my responses, and please, I hope you aren't in a terrible hurry, it's the busy time of year for me.

I will keep you posted here and NOT in PM, unless of course the info I have is of personal nature and pertains to the doctor in question. I have to avoid possible litigation if anything does turn up since this is a worldwide website.

Night night... SNOOZE!!

Nov 21, 2009, 11:38 AM

I have nothing but time LOL. Whenever you get a chance. Thanks :-)
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 11:46 AM
    I will say, before I jump into bed, that the limited amount of research that I have done on this doctor so far, produces nothing but good results, and that you should consider yourself to be VERY lucky to be his/her patient.

Are you continuing to follow up with him/her?

Nov 21, 2009, 11:49 AM

Well that's good to hear. Yes I talk to them frequently. (my dumb questions) They did tell me to call them when I miss a period. Unless we are not pregnant in 3 months. Then I am supposed to have that x ray. I asked one of the nurses about the ovulation thing and she wasn't very clear. So that's why I figured I would see what others have to say on here.
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 11:55 AM
    I am currently officially brain dead... can you find out the name of the "x-ray" for me?

Charting ovulation can be tricky and, with most, is typically done over a one year period before an accurate pattern is detected.

Nov 21, 2009, 11:57 AM

Yep let me look at the paperwork he gave me for it. Hold on. Im sorry you should go get some sleep. I will post it for you but no hurry.

Nov 21, 2009, 11:59 AM
    OK found it, its called hysterosalpingography

Dec 2, 2009, 05:31 PM

J9 hope you haven't done too much research... just found out today we are pregnant! Its very very early but had a blood test done by doc and its confirmed! She said my hcg level is 53, my period would have been due on Monday. Thanks again for all your help so far, I truly appreciate it!

Dec 14, 2009, 07:37 AM

Just updating, had another blood test, hcg levels are steadily going up. Last Friday they were 2570. My progesterone level dropped a bit and now the doc has me on progesterone suppositories. But as of right now, no bleeding/spotting or cramping of any kind. I go for my first ultrasound tomorrow to make sure everything is going OK and to better determine how far along I am.
    Expert

Dec 14, 2009, 07:40 AM
    OMG! Congratulations!! This is FAnTASTIC news!!

Dec 14, 2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks! I can not believe how fast that happened!! I had my mind all set that it was going to take months! So this is truly unbelievable! I am so excited to know the surgery actually worked!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Implantation or ovulation bleeding? Confused! [ 3 Answers ]

I have irregular periods and also a small ovarian cyst. I had a period may 28th 2009 and my next one was July 2 2009.The one in July was very light and lasted six days. I started spotting July 18 which would have been day 16 of my cycle. I have been spotting now for four days. Sometimes it is pink...

Ovulation [ 16 Answers ]

When is a woman more susceptible to getting pregnant, before or after her period?

Ovulation ? [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been trying to concive he bought me an ovulation kit I found out my days and we had made love before, during and after those days but, I still got my period, I took a test and it said negative, does this mean there might be something wrong with one of us or does it just...

So confused about ovulation [ 1 Answers ]

Help - I am so confused. We are Trying to conceive and have had 2 miscarriages this year so I have been keeping an eye on my cycles and noticed I ovulate late - day 18, 19 of a 28 day cycle. I have been having acupuncture and this month around day 12 I got lots of EWCM and the same day 13 but...

View more questions Search