Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 02:36 AM
    Diamond scratch test
    What is meant by diamond scratch test? And what is its importance?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:13 AM

"As you look at your ring, earrings, or other piece of jewelry, you may find yourself wondering whether or not the diamond in your item is real. This may be because of the price you paid for your jewelry, because of the person who gave you the item, or for a number of different reasons. But, there are a number of tests that you can conduct to tell the difference between genuine diamond and a cubic zirconia.The first test many people want to conduct is the “scratch test.” A time old tradition, this test is not as accurate as it once was. While a diamond can scratch glass, modern technology has proven that so can some quality cubic zirconias. In addition, this test may cause you to damage your diamond, and if it's real, will lower the value of the diamond and decrease its external beauty.

Therefore, the first real test that you should try is the transparency test. You cannot clearly read through diamonds so if you can do so on a newspaper or other type of print, then the item is not a real diamond. Though this test works with some jewelry, it is best in circumstances when you have a loose diamond. Furthermore, any real diamond that has been cut too shallow may be easy to read through and provide inconclusive results. If you are unsure of the results, you should proceed to the next test. The more tests you do, the more likely your results will be as accurate as possible.

The next test, which is similar to the transparency test, is the fog test. A genuine diamond will not hold heat. This test can be done with your breath by breathing on it like you would a mirror. If it stays foggy, it is not a real diamond. If it does not and it allows the heat to be dispersed and clear up, then it is real.

Before you conduct this test, your best bet is to make sure that your ring is clean. There are several ways that you can clean your diamond in your own home to remove any dirt or natural oils form your ring. Then you can proceed with the test.

If you have the equipment available, another test that you can conduct is the weight test. It is well known that a cubic zirconia weighs more that a genuine diamond. In fact, it weighs almost double what a real diamond weighs and therefore will tip the scales accordingly. For those who believe that their diamond is real, a cubic zirconia can be purchased of the same size, including shape and dimension, and place both items on a gram scale to see which way it tips. The important factor here is to get an item as similar as possible for the best results.

Again, if you have the equipment available, another test that you can conduct to determine if you have a genuine diamond is an ultraviolet test. A U.V. test can be applied because almost all cubic zirconia will not provide the same fluorescence color.

A genuine diamond, however, may give off a strong blue fluorescence when held under a black light. Unfortunately, the bluer hue you get, the less valuable your diamond, which means that a real diamond that shows a lack of blue may be considered a fake. If you suspect that you have a higher quality diamond and that is why you are not seeing the blue fluorescence, then other tests should be completed.

One last test you can try is the loop test, which can be conducted with a magnifying glass. This test will inspect specific characteristics about the stone, including how the facets are joined at the top of the stone and the appearance of the girdle. If the girdle is frosty, it is likely a diamond, but if it is waxy and slick, then it is likely a fake diamond. Additionally, you can look and see if the stone is stamped with a “C.Z.” on the interior of the ring, which would obviously indicate that it is not real.

Although these tests are often used to tell the difference between a genuine diamond and a cubic zirconia, not all of them are fool proof so the results could be a little confusing to determine the real from the fake. Therefore, if you have any doubt about your diamond, you can try any of these tests.

However, before you make any decisions based on your results, you should speak with a professional. Even as an imposter, a cubic zirocnia can still provide a wonderful piece of jewelry. A professional jeweler will easily and quickly be able to tell you whether or not the stone that you have is a real diamond or just a beautiful imitation."

Tests to Tell Genuine Diamond from Cubic Zirconia
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 08:56 AM

Had to spread the rep Judy but that was great!

I just did the 'fog' test on mine after reading that and it cleared up in a few seconds ;)

Another way that you can sort of tell if a diamond is real is if it loses any clarity over time.

My engagement ring was my great grandmothers and is over 90 years old but the diamond still sparkles like it was just made... cubic zirconias will go slightly cloudy over time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:53 AM

Funny story - one of my best friends met a guy. Engaged within months. HUGE engagement ring, beautiful. About 5 years later they divorced and she decided to sell the ring and buy a car.

You probably guessed right - it was a zirconia. He was the one who always took it "in" for cleaning, arranged for the insurance and so forth.

And she totally was fooled.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 04:23 AM

Thanks a ton Judy. That was quite informative. So I have learned that scratch test is not advisable for testing the genuineness of a diamond if you need to retain it.

And I feel sorry for your friend although the story was quite hilarious!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

I want to start from scratch [ 36 Answers ]

Entire story merged My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 months. Everything has been wonderful up until recently. All of the sudden he wants to hang out with his friends ALL the time and we never see/talk to each other anymore. It really kills me because sometimes he's emotionally...

How do I start from scratch at the age of 40 something? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this and don't have a clue. I am starting over in my life and have spent my years taking care of everyone but me. I recently suffered a huge loss and have been at loose ends. I am moving in to my own apt. soon. I have lots of debt and don't know how to pay it off. I am in...

View more questions Search