Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Will0902 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Grants for driving school for convicted felon
    Hi all , I am a convicted felon over 2 years ago. I was released from State prison in June and am having a really hard time finding a job. I am looking into truck driving school but can not afford the tuition to join. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. Im located in Berwick PA
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 08:20 PM

I know that there are PELL grants available for truck driving school tuition. You need to call the folks down at your county job and family services department and speak to them about this. But be advised that if they DO have these PELL grants available you will have to jump through a lot of hoops (and I do mean a lot of hoops) in order to get the grant money for school. You may want to look into calling some OTR big companies and ask them about their driving school program where you go to their school and then sign a contract to work for the company for a year. But your felony may just put a kibosh on driving professionally at all. Depending on what sort of felony and how long ago the felony was you just may have a chance. You don't have to go into "I got out 2 years ago" right off the bat with these companies. Just be honest about the date of your conviction.

Also, contact several different truck driving schools about getting a government loan to attend truck driving school. That's also a good possibility. You would more than likely be able to quality for a government loan much easier than jumping through the Pell grant hoops and get the loan quicker as well. Pell grants can take months and months and you don't know if you're approved for at least 3 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 09:39 PM

And if your convictions where drug related, many of the government grants and loans will not be an option.

Good schools will have a fincial aid department ( or person at least) who should know any and all funding and loans possible

Of course remember right now, there are some large lay offs in trucking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business grants for disabled and convicted felon [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a convicted felon but also is disabled. Would someone know a research direction to start?

Can a convicted felon receive financial aid, grants, or loans? [ 9 Answers ]

I was trin to find out if I can get some help with college.

Grants or aid for child of a convicted felon [ 1 Answers ]

My father just finished serving a federal prison sentence. He is on supervised release and my mother works like a maniac supporting our household. Financial aid states that our family financial support is $10k. Are there any other programs for me or my parents which could help pay for college?

Grants for sigle mom convicted felon [ 1 Answers ]

Im a single mom ,and a felon on probation. I would love to go to photography school. How do I get a free grant?I live in Colorado and work part time.

Convicted felon looking for truck driving school [ 1 Answers ]

I am a convicted felon who is trying to find a truck driving school to attend. I have 1 felony and it is 5 years old and I don't have the money to pay for the schooling myself. Can anybody give me some information that will help me out? Thank You all

View more questions Search