Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Trouble with iframes, css, and html.
    I have a page coded. I pulled the CSS script off the net, because I suck at CSS. The page is coded so that there is a table that divides the page into to sections, left and right. The left side is filled in by a non-scrolling iFrame. The right side is a div tag, which has a series of href links that target the iFrame. The entire div section is styled to make a menu. It has stuff for hover, onClick, and other cool stuff to make it look interactive; also it has a section of the CSS code which some how detects browser and makes some changes.

What I was hoping to do was add some more personal stuff. I don't want to deal with java, xml, or really anything but html and css. I suppose I can try with the others, but I don't think I will succeed.

First I need a second iFrame in the right part of the table below the menu, I have no problem coding that. But I need the same links that load the first iFrame with one page to load the second iFrame with a separate page.

Secondly, I need the same link that targets the I frame to be able to position the page underneath without the use of anchors. I have found a CSS script that lets you add an ID to the iFrame so that you can use a CSS style at the top of the page (or add it to a current style sheet) and then will position the underlying page at -x, -y increments relative to the left and top. The tricky part I am having with this is that I only need this positioning done on 3 of the several links, and not on the rest. Also a second style would be needed for the second iFrame.

That would mean that the style would be only applied to a few of the links when clicked and would resume normal loading when the others are clicked.

I know I am asking a lot, but I can't post a link to the page because it is a private DVR system. Thanks in advance.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hi,
    Most is fairly clear, except I do not understand why you are using iFrames; they are a Netscape invention and non-standard. The normal way would be to use a Frameset DTD and build it that way.
    I am also fairly certain that you will need some JavaScript to manipulate the DOM to achieve the desired results in that third frame that you describe. HTML and CSS are not going to do it.
    I do not use Frames as a matter of course, and my most common JavaScript is in fact a "framebreaker" that prevents someone from putting my content into a frame on their page.
    All that said, try getting a free host to post your page. Many exist. I have four at Tripod, though they do not allow many of the "good" stuff like MySQL, PHP, etc. and have another new host that gives me 5Gb and all the "bells and whistles" coming soon.
    Free Website Hosting - Tripod free website templates to make your own free website
    Gives you 20 Mb to work with, if that is sufficient.
    It is hard to help further without seeing the page(s) in question; and, yes I can "pull" every bit of your content down onto one of my machines. It is my test machine and will do it. I will warn you it tests with four browsers and is made to test for "graceful" degradation (ability to work with older versions) of CSS, Flash, etc.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About html [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all; It may be stupid questions but have to ask... 1>is there any possibility to use multiple scrips languages in single web page.(java and vb or others). 2> if not then how to understand which language should best for performance?(I am new in this field so got more options therefor more...

Html help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to add buttons or hyperlinks (right now they are hyperlinks) on different pages of my site. They should function so that they act like a shopping cart. I guess they need to set a cookie so that when visitor "checks out", all selections will be input to text field...

Help with HTML. [ 6 Answers ]

okay. So I have my webpage at index.htm and I start building the structure. <html><head><title>my homepage of ittle</title></head> <body> <center><b><u><h1><font color=red> WELCOME! <br size=5 color=pink> now I have a matrix animation using javascript. Then I have a button that says home so...

Css vs. Html [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I thought there was a thread onthis but I couldn't find it. I wanted to know when I should use CSS and when I should use HTML? I noticed websites that are using CSS are still using HTML, psecifically tables, to do some of there layout. I thought that was a no, no since CSS came out. I am...

Html [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy I have some files, all of which are .jpg I have FTP them to an AOL web server. Questions: What extension do they now have? If not HTML, how do they get to be HTML which is What I am wanting? And, yes, I am new at this.

View more questions Search