Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Joining Corner Bead on Soffits
    My basement project required creating several soffits to enclose existing ventilation ducts. One of these runs a considerable distance (30 + feet) across one wall. On the front edge of this I assumed that I would install traditional corner bead, but that would require "joining" in at least one spot. I haven't ever tried to create a joint with corner bead, and I don't know it it is really a big deal or not.

Is there another solution to span this distance without a joint? I know that corner bead comes in some longer sections, but even that would require a joint. Any assistance would be appreciated!!
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 20, 2009, 08:24 AM

Corner bead overlaps itself doesn't it?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Nov 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
    if you goggle "wire corner tape" you will see a couple of items that will work.. wall span is 2"x100'.. only 11 bucks :D
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 10:06 PM

Corner bead is not "joined" and it certainly is not over lapped. One piece is simply butted up against the last.
    BuilderBrent Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Nov 22, 2009, 02:16 PM
    From my experience finishing drywall is really a talent. And that talent really comes into play when someone who is inexperienced does the prep work.

It is true that professionals do not lap their corner bead, and it's for obvious reasons. If you lap the bead there will be a change in height and make it difficult to apply the "mud" later. But, if your not a professional and don't do this much you can run into the opposite problem if you don't lap the bead. You could end up with a space between beads or the rounded end of the bead could end up off center or higher or lower than the bead you just put on. Creating the same issue.

Here is what someone showed me once which incorporates both styles. I hope I can explain this without visual aids, but I'll give it a shot.

Put your first piece of corner bead on and fasten it securely as your normally would.

Before you put your next bead on you are going to make a couple of cuts. On the end that will be butting to the bead you just installed, you will be cutting out a "V". Start your cut on the corner of the nailing fin and cut diagonal toward the rounded center part. Do not cut into the rounded section, because you want this to butt together with the previous one. Do the same on the other side. (not the other end) Now when you butt the new piece to the one already installed your nailing fins will over lap, but the rounded corner will be butted together. This way you will not have one bead higher than the other.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks all! Since I'm only going to have this problem with the soffit, I think the metal backed tape will work best.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Nov 23, 2009, 02:44 PM

Use regular 103 type corner bead it is the all steel not the mini mesh butt the pieces togetherand just eyeball them to be streight I staple bead onwith a crown stapler but you can nail it with drywall nails for finishing use e-z sand 90 and then a coat of +3 and then texture

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing corner bead [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. What's the best way to install corner beads for drywall jobs? I'm seeing more people prefer nails. If I am going to use nails, which type should I get and what length? I installed half inch drywall. Thanks.

Corner Bead [ 4 Answers ]

What type of corner bead would you recommend and why(metal, plastic, glue type)? Thanks, Gregg

Birds in soffits [ 1 Answers ]

What can I put on my soffits to keep the birds out?

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have green board on the bathroom walls, and durarock on the floor and the entire shower. This is a new bathroom I am building. My question was should I put the paper corner bead on the corners which have durarock. These corners are the sides of my shower where my doors are going. If I use corner...

Tiling corner bead [ 2 Answers ]

I have new durarock and green board on my walls and floor on the outside corners should I put corner bead and mud before tiling or should I use thinset

View more questions Search