Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Caught in the middle
    I have a friend who is a single mother of 3. She is a wonderful lady, super mom, and loving friend. However, she is extremely hung up on one of my husband's friends. My husband's friend James just got out of a rather rocky marriage, and is not really into having a relationship. However, a couple of times they have hooked up after having a bit too much to drink. While it is not my place to say anything to either one of them (both are well over 30), I am so torn with what to do. James has said to me a number of times that he is completely not interested in her. That he just needs time to get over his ex wife. But, my friend tells me about how she dreams about him, that he is her soulmate, and how she has loved him for years and now that he is not married she is going to get her one true love. She just recently told me that she went to see a psychic who told her that she would marry an aries man (he is an aries, but come on! ) before the end of 2007. Now she is waiting for him for "forever." He tells me to tell her it is over, which is not my place, nor will I. She tells me about her undying love for him. Help how do I get out of this situation?
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Leave them alone - it's NOT your business - she's set up for heart ache - so what - she needs to learn.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Tell her to handle her own business and make sure you stay as far from this drama as possible.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Yeah - stay out of friends personal business. Nothing good can happen.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Yep have to agree with both tal and cat.

It isn't your place to get involved. Stay out of it. Let them learn the hard way if need be.

She is falling way to hard for a man she hardly knows and is just out of a marriage and it sounds as though he is struggling to be honest with her.

It isn't your place to say anything.

They are both grown adults and make there own decisions.
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Not only can they make their own decisions but they are old enough to pay their own consequences.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 06:46 AM
    As you said they are both over 30... they are grown adults...

Make it clear to both that you are not interested.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
    It sounds like your female friend is really lonely and latched onto the first guy that's given her some attention in a while. If she brings him up I would change the subject immediately or excuse yourself from the conversation. Hopefully that will make it easier on you when she gets her heart broke and she hopefully won't be willing to come to you and complain about him.
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Yeah - the dude - in his position just wanted a fling - happens every time - she wanted the attention.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Nov 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
    I agree with all of the other posts here. They are adults. Your husband's friend will just have to "suck it up" and tell your friend that he is not interested. They shouldn't be putting you in the middle of this!
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 06:54 AM
    Thanks everyone. I totally know that I should not get involved and have not to this point. I worry about my friend getting her heart broke, but it is a part of life, so it is bound to happen. I have talked to both of them and told them to please deal with their issues without putting me in the middle because it is not fair to me, since I love them both so much. Thanks!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Good and well done
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 11:03 AM
    So in continuation of this wonderful saga that I want no part in-

We are having a party the night before Thanksgiving. Both are invited since they are friends with my husband and I. I just read the latest e-mail from my friend who says she is so heartbroken because she has not heard from him since they last hooked up, (a week ago). She feels that she can't even face him unless he calls her. I sent an e-mail back reminding her of our agreement and telling her again that I love her. She asked me to call him and ask him what is up. I have refused to do so. Now she believes I hate her. Could this be making her so unstable? She is usually so levelheaded and calm.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Leave her alone she will come around after she calms herself.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Nov 14, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    So in continuation of this wonderful saga that I want no part in-

We are having a party the night before Thanksgiving. Both are invited since they are friends with my husband and I. I just read the latest e-mail from my friend who says she is so heartbroken because she has not heard from him since they last hooked up, (a week ago). She feels that she can't even face him unless he calls her. I sent an e-mail back reminding her of our agreement and telling her again that I love her. She asked me to call him and ask him what is up. I have refused to do so. Now she believes I hate her. Could this be making her so unstable? She is usually so levelheaded and calm.
    If she is your true friend then she would understand why you don't want to get involved. I would never ask my friend to get involved if her and her husband set me up with a guy and he never called me.

You are doing the right thing here. Patience. She will eventually come around!
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Do not get involved!
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Stay out.

Don't let your friends tantrums sway you.

She sounds really unstable too. No wonder this guy isn't keen on her. She sounds so needy and clingy and I bit he picked it up.

Don't get involved.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Nov 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Stay out.
    She's probably just in a headspin because she doesn't know where she stands with your other friend.
    Or refuses to see it.
    She's just "temporarily" unstable.
    I would still back away.
    If she is trying to get you "onside" you can always suggest maybe she give the party a miss until her head is a bit clearer.
    (The last thing you want is a scene at your place! )
    This might subtly knock some sense into her, and help her realise she's losing her cool... and self-respect.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 14, 2006, 03:39 PM
    This is risky but I have done it in the past when the circumstances created by the two friends grew to unbearable proportions. Invite both to a pow wow with you, all up front. This is to end all attempts to use you as a messenger. Inform each that you are there only to ensure that what each has told you will be out in the open. When I did it, they surprised me by both showing up. And it worked out to an understanding, much to my chagrin. They both saw how hurt I had been but never made any gestures to that other than I was never asked to pass a message again. My friendship with both was never the same and I felt sad about that for a while but here is what I know now -- it never was going to be anyway.

Just some radical thoughts to ponder.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 07:36 PM
    The only way you can get out of this situation is to ask both James and your friend not to discuss the issue with you. Tactfully inform them that you don't want to serve as their go-between.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I was caught without a driver's license. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 19 and I live in Tennessee. A few weeks back I was caught passing a car in a no passing lane and I was pulled over. They gave me a ticket for no drivers livense and passing on double lines. The cop told me if I could get my license by the court date he would let it go but I won't be able to get...

Battle for middle earth 2 [ 2 Answers ]

My computer is all right but I have heard that if your computer is not brilliant Your PC can not handle battle for middle earth how do I find out if it can ?

Family (ME in the middle) Breakup [ 4 Answers ]

I think the year was 1999 I live with my mum and step dad and at the time next door to my nan and grandad (mums side) it all happened so fast mum was out one night I was at nans, she got back 30 minits late and forgote to pick something up for a funral the next day anyway my nan went totally...

I was caught making fake money [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was busted for making fake 20's, I passed 8 fake 20 dollar bills. The police found another 15 or so in my trash. I understand that I committed a federal offense, what would be a ballpark of my punishment? I'm a single mom with 2 boys who's father recently committed suicide?

Caught in the middle [ 1 Answers ]

About a month a go I went to a used car dealer and bought a car. In the state of New Hampshire you have to get the car inspected. I went and got it inspected and my mechanic passed it. Well just today while driving my right control wheel broke and thank god I wasn't hurt. I called aaa and had them...

View more questions Search