Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brendaanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 09:59 AM
    401 k
    Is there a penalty for borrowing on a 401 k?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 10:03 AM
    No. A 401k loan provision has to be written into the plan. But if it is you can borrow under the terms of the provision. Generally plans allow no more than 2 outstanding loans at the same time, usually 1. Interest is charged at a competitve rate to other secured loans. However, the interest you pay goes totally into your account so you are paying yourself interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 (a) Plans [ 3 Answers ]

Are there folks out there who have had experience with 401 (a) plans? I'm a trustee and wonder if a 401 (a) wouldn't be better than a 401 (k). Thank you.

401 K question [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my employer at the end of the month. I intend to roll over my 401k account to an IRA. If I wished to keep what funds I have contributed this year, do the penalties still apply?

Transferring a 401 [ 2 Answers ]

I have an account with Valic about 100K in it, it is in a retirement 401 started with my old co. I have moved to a new job, they have a 401 k with BBand T. Should I transfer the original 401 or just start a new one. If I leave the original I can not add to it right? What's the best way to have...

401 k portability [ 2 Answers ]

I have been working with a company for 2 years and joined the 401k plan only this month (Jan 2006). I have decided to change companies ,what will happen to the amount deducted from my paycheck towards 401k this month.Can it be transferred to the new companys plan. Iam very new to this 401k...

View more questions Search