Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Ich treatments and antibiotics?
    Hello everyone!
    Yes I know, Another fish question. I noticed just now that my fishie Avery has Ich, or at least I'm pretty sure that he does. He's got little sprinkley white thingers on his face, and I looked at pictures and it looks the same.

Anyway, I read this article about treating Ich, and the person who wrote the article said that it's best to treat ich with the regular ich treatment along with an antibiotic because they become more succeptible to bacterial infections when they're already stressed out and sick.

Here's the article.
    Fish Diseases: ICH/ICK Information Page

I really don't want to lose another fish because I didn't treat it properly.
    I've already ordered the Ich treatment.
    When I start the treatment, would it be a good idea for me to completely change the water as well? Just in case any extra bacteria are floating around?

I really love my fish, (both but they're in separate tanks, the other one seems fine) I just wan to make sure that they are happy and healthy. I'm worried I'm going to lose the little guy!

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 09:08 PM

Oh no :(
    Sorry to hear that ohso.

The liquid we have hear to treat ich is just called simply "Ich, white spot treatment"
    It turns the water bright blue and it cured most of mine when they had the problem (we had a lot of fish at the time and they ALL had white spot)

As for the water don't change it, you will most likely stress them out more.
    The instructions on mine says to just put the required amount in the water, leave for 3 (?) days and then change the water.
    It's different for different brands.

Personally I wouldn't have ordered online, it can be pretty fast spreading so it's best to treat it straight away, odds are he already had it when you bought him but the spots didn't appear until now.

It's not your fault, don't feel bad :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Oh no :(
    Sorry to hear that ohso.

The liquid we have hear to treat ich is just called simply "Ich, white spot treatment"
    It turns the water bright blue and it cured most of mine when they had the problem (we had a lot of fish at the time and they ALL had white spot)

As for the water don't change it, you will most likely stress them out more.
    The instructions on mine says to just put the required amount in the water, leave for 3 (?) days and then change the water.
    It's different for different brands.

Personally I wouldn't have ordered online, it can be pretty fast spreading so it's best to treat it straight away, odds are he already had it when you bought him but the spots didn't appear until now.

It's not your fault, don't feel bad :)
    It should be here by Monday at the very latest. It honestly would have taken longer to drive up to the store because we're trying to save on gas. I think He should be OK for a couple more days, I hope. It doesn't look severe.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2009, 12:25 PM

By the way, the Ich-treatment that I got is 100% organic. I read in the description that I don't have to change the water, which is great. :) And it said that it helps prevent and treat secondary infections. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 05:54 PM

Oh cool!
    I haven't seen any organic ones before, I hope it clears it all up for the little guy.
    You are having one very unlucky streak ohso :(
    Luv_a_bull098 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Nov 21, 2009, 09:41 PM

Geez! I'm a bit late on this one! I work a horrible schedule right now :(

BUT! A good way of getting rid of Ich isn't always the ich treatments that pet stores will push onto you. My friends and I would always tell people buy Tetracycline. It's a all around antibiotic that will kill anything. Also, increase the salt levels in your water. Salt will help your fish relax and not stress out over being sick. Ich, if caught early, clears up quickly. Like Shaz said, you probably bought the fish with the ich already on them. Ich is kind of like chicken pox, you don't know you have it until you see it. Ich is only found on domestic fish because they aren't in fresh water, no matter how often you change the water. Also. Turn your heat up gradually over the next couple of hours. Ich can't survive in warmer water. The tank temp should be about 85 degrees. Observe the movement of your fishs' gills. You shouldn't have too much of a problem of oxygenating the water since betas breath from the surface. If you want to go a more natural way, Melafix is the way to go. But pick only one treatment. You can over dose a fish on meds. Melafix you change the water out every 3 days for a week. Let the fish rest and see if there is any improvement. If nothings changed, do it again. Same goes for the Tetracycline. Both medications are by API brand.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv_a_bull098 View Post
    Geez! I'm a bit late on this one! I work a horrible schedule right now :(

BUT! A good way of getting rid of Ich isnt always the ich treatments that pet stores will push onto you. My friends and I would always tell people buy Tetracycline. It's a all around antibiotic that will kill anything. Also, increase the salt levels in your water. Salt will help your fish relax and not stress out over being sick. Ich, if caught early, clears up quickly. Like Shaz said, you probably bought the fish with the ich already on them. Ich is kind of like chicken pox, you dont know you have it until you see it. Ich is only found on domestic fish because they arent in fresh water, no matter how often you change the water. Also. Turn your heat up gradually over the next couple of hours. Ich can't survive in warmer water. The tank temp should be about 85 degrees. Observe the movement of your fishs' gills. You shouldnt have too much of a problem of oxygenating the water since betas breath from the surface. If you want to go a more natural way, Melafix is the way to go. But pick only one treatment. You can over dose a fish on meds. Melafix you change the water out every 3 days for a week. Let the fish rest and see if there is any improvement. If nothings changed, do it again. Same goes for the Tetracycline. Both medications are by API brand.

The ich treatment is organic and I purchased it with a 50% discound online. I can't think of the name right off bat, but it says that you don't need to change the water at all.

I'm kind of skeptical that it's ich though, because I'vee been keeping an eye on him, and the little spots haven't increased or decreased the past couple of days. I can't tell if there's any on his body because he's a silvery color, but on the black part of his face it looks like little spots that haven't changed at all. My other thought is that it might be extra silver scales on his face, but I'm not sure. But like I said, the spots are no different than what they were when I first noticed them. For all I know they were there when I bought the little guy but I hadn't noticed them for a couple of days. If I were able to get a clear picture of it I'd show you but I can't get one. .

Nov 21, 2009, 10:41 PM

Do the spots look kind of 3D? If they look like pimples then you have ich. If they look like they blend into the body of the fish it could be something else. I might have to do some research. I'll try and get back to you tonight.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 10:56 PM

When mine had white spot (ich) the spots looked almost fuzzy.

Good point about turning the heater up, that helps stem it until you can get it treated.

Nov 21, 2009, 11:04 PM

Looked some things up. You have ICH. Right now its just forming. If you leave it untreated, it'll get worse. The white spots will get bigger and fuzzy and the fish will die slowly.

The reason you have ich is because you do have a new tank. They did come with it on. But stress of being shipped again and a new tank feeds the parasite. If you're familure at all with dogs, Ich is compared to kennel cough, stress will cause it to go haywire and the immune system can't fight it off quick enough. Add salt to lower stress levels and definitely turn the heater up. When the meds come in, follow the directions exactally. I do believe you have to do a weeks worth of treatments with any of the meds. And its always a good thing to give your fish fresh clean water to help wash the parasite out of your tank. Do a 5% water change every three days. Ich can't survive with medication, heat and the constant exchange of clean water.

Good luck! Let us know what's going on!
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv_a_bull098 View Post
    Looked some things up. You have ICH. Right now its just forming. If you leave it untreated, it'll get worse. The white spots will get bigger and fuzzy and the fish will die slowly.

The reason you have ich is because you do have a new tank. They did come with it on. But stress of being shipped again and a new tank feeds the parasite. If you're familure at all with dogs, Ich is compared to kennel cough, stress will cause it to go haywire and the immune system can't fight it off quick enough. Add salt to lower stress levels and definately turn the heater up. When the meds come in, follow the directions exactally. I do believe you have to do a weeks worth of treatments with any of the meds. and its always a good thing to give your fish fresh clean water to help wash the parasite out of your tank. Do a 5% water change every three days. Ich can't survive with medication, heat and the constant exchange of clean water.

Good luck! Let us know whats goin on!
    They kind of looked like tiny little bubbles, Anyway, What kind of salt do I need again?
    And should I just keep the bulb on above his tank at all times? It's a one gallon corner tank that comes with the heater bulb on the lid. It doesn't really keep the water that warm because it's a small bulb and I only keep it on for a couple of hours every night. What do you think?
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 11:41 PM

Yeah I just looke MUCH MUCH closer at him. He's pretty smart I have to say, when I go to check him out, he stays right where I can see him and he stays still, It's like he knows that I know that he needs help and I'm keeping an eye on him.

Anyway, he does have a few tiny spots like the ones on his face kind of down farther. It looks like it's starting on his face and going down. They're VERY VERY small and EXTREMELY hard to see on his silver parts, but I saw them. It's definitely in the early stages as far as I can see. I hope the treatment comes in soon. I'll be sure to keep a VERY close eye on him.

I got my other one (the black one) at the same time as I got the silver one. He's definitely more calm and he does not have any signs of Ich. (Also, he's in a separate tank of course, like the one I have my silver guy in) He seemed to adapt right away, He doesn't spaz like the other one.
    My silver one is very energetic and fiesty.

It may have soemthing to do with where I put them in my room.
    The black on is in kind of a darker corner on my dresser, and the silver one is closer to the window and the sinlight.
    Would placement stress them out at all?
    Should I try switching their places to see if it relaxes him? Or would it freak the other one out?

Nov 22, 2009, 06:11 PM

Placement shouldn't bother them. I don't think fish really gaze out their fish tanks. Don't keep your fish in any direct sun. Not only will he get too hot on the good days, but you'll grow algae like mad. I don't think temperament really applies to Ich. Ich is caused because the fish is stressed... Going from the hatchery to the pet store the pet store for who knows how long to your house. Some fish have stronger immune systems and other don't. Try not to play musical chairs with your fish. The sloshing of the water while you move the tank or even just the transport and water change/temperature from one place to another will send a fish over the edge.

And... the only fish stress reducer is salt. I know its strange to put salt in a fresh water tank, but they do need it! Try and get a box of fresh water aquarium salt and follow the directions on the back. It should tell you how much to add for every gal and stress levels or if the fish is sick.

Just keep an eye on your fish. The day a fish doesn't eat is the day they die. As long as he's eating and is always waiting for food then he's not a goner yet! And don't forget to turn your heater up!

As for your bulb question, tank lights should be left on for as long as there is day light. I turn my tank on in the morning and turn it off right before bed time. It keeps your fish on a schedule and gives him a more "natural" environment. A lot of the big expensive tanks for salt water/reef or expensive freshies will actually buy a moon light for at night. So try not to screw with his day light hours too much.

I hope I answered everything
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah that helped a lot.
    They're both starting to blow bubble nests, which I was told was a good thing, because I think he's starting to calm down. His bubble nest is bigger than the black one's.

Also, I bought them freeze dried blood worms today. I gave them each some.
    Unfortunately I forgot that freeze dried food expand when they get wet, so they're a LITTLE bit bloated, but they should be fine if I fast them tomorrow.
    (Why do the fish food companies fill the food container so darn full? )
    He also seems much more calm and relaxed, and he's used to seeing me stare at him.

I talked to the lady at the petstore and she said that he should be fine until the Ick treatment gets in because she said that he didn't sound too severe.
    I'll stick with the light thing that you told me about. That's a good idea, thanks for that. :)

Nov 22, 2009, 10:53 PM

No problem!

I think when Betas make bubble nests they're trying to attract a female. But whatever you do, don't get them girlfriends. I did that once and she killed my 3 year old boy and died three days later. But, if they're making nests, then they're feeling more relaxed. So you're doing good!
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 11:47 PM

Yeah I wasn't going to do that. I'm just glad they're happier. You can look at a link on pictures of our pets. It's video of them.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

Avery's Ick has gotten worse. BUT! I got the treatment delivery in yesterday and used it right away. I use an eyedropper because it says 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons, and well, that would be a bit much for my fishie's 1 gallon home.
    It says do that every day for a week and then a few days after the last spots have cleared up. The stuff is organic and smells like rotting beef stock or something. Ew!

Anyway, He's still eating, but he's a bit less energetic than he was before.
    I've been keeping the light on until I go to bed and keeping an eye on him.
    If you have anymore suggestions that would help that would be great. :)

This is the sstuff I have.
    http://www.petco.com/product/102735/...es_Medications
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 06:32 PM

Aww, I hope he feels better soon :(

It will take a few days for the treatment to start working. The link didn't work for me.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hmmm, It's called Kordon Ich Attack for Fresh & Saltwater Aquariums

I hope he feels better soon too, thank you!

Nov 26, 2009, 02:24 PM

Ohh, I have heard of Kordon. I think I used their water treatment once. That stuff is pretty spendy. And I haven't really heard much back on the Kordon products. If this stuff works, let me know! I'd be interested in finding out.

And, just for future issues. If he does stop eating, Seachem carries a product called Garlic Guard. It helps stimulate the sensors in fish to want to eat. As long as your fish is eating, he should pull through OK. Its when they stop eating...

Good luck! I hope your fishies make it OK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol and antibiotics? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it okay for someone that is taking antibiotics for a bladder infection to drink alcohol?

Antibiotics [ 4 Answers ]

What is the downside of not having the correct dosage of penicillin? I have been prescribed 4 tabs a day for 2 weeks and there have been a few days I have forgotten and/or not taken all the full dosage. Does this mean that I am prone to an antibiotic allergy which I understand is a complete...

UTI and antibiotics [ 2 Answers ]

Why I'm I still feeling symptoms of a UTI , if I took antibiotics for 3 days?

More Antibiotics? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, here we go again. I swear I should just mail you guys my vet's $$$$. I can never get ahold of him... lol. Anyway, my dog has had infected anal glands twice in the past 5-6 weeks. He has been on antibiotics for approx. 3 weeks out of those 5-6 weeks. Well, guess what?? There still seems to be a...

Antibiotics [ 1 Answers ]

?? Please can you tell me what the worse side affects are for metronidoze 200mg are as I'm really scared to take them but I know I have to.

View more questions Search