Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsmoondog Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Goodman GDH8 lockout, Service Nightmare
    Hi all,
    Had a Goodman GDH8 installed not quite 2 years ago, last winter just 2 months out of warranty, it started acting up. From what I've read, a somewhat typical issue where the ignition system starts, glows all nice and red, then with a click and a hiss, attempts to light the burner, and it it fails to light, will try 2 more times before going into a system lockout with a single flashing light. I turn the furnace off, wait several minutes, turn it back on, and hope it lights this time. Sometimes, it actually does light on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt and we have heat.

Called the company that installed it and they sent a tech out. (Who much preferred standing in my living room talking to fixing the furnace.) He checked all kinds of things over a period of ~3~ visits, and found nothing. On his third visit, my husband had gone online and did some research and told the guy to check the ground. He did, and found that the guy that had installed the furnace ran the ground incorrectly. He corrected the problem. So, several hours and a $330.00 bill later on an almost new furnace, we thought we had finally had a furnace that worked. It ran fine for about a month then right before Spring arrived and we stopped using it, it started all over again. I was so mad I just shut the dang thing off.

Same thing now, turn it on, it cycles through 3 ignition attempts, then locks out with a single flashing light. But only sometimes. (Except for tonight, where I can't get it to light.) Called a different company altogether and the tech, (recommended by a couple friends), came out today and said it sounded like it wasn't getting gas. He checked all that, and apparently, gas flow is fine. So after a time, he came and said he had found a small dark spot on the back of the circuit board. He said "it isn't burned all the way through". (Yikes?) He is bringing a new circuit board back tomorrow to try. (Ka-ching.)

Frankly, we do not have the money to spend on another 2 or 3 or 4 visits. If the circuit board isn't the issue, what should I do? My dad was in HVAC for many years; I know these guys are highly trained and work hard. But obviously, they don't know these Goodman furnaces and all the little quirks I've read about. (The main problem being that Goodman doesn't train their techs enough, from what I've read after hours and hours of researching these furnaces online.)

Can I ask the tech to re-check the ground, or check the igniter for tiny cracks, or the limiter switch on the blower, or the high limit switches? (This is if the board isn't the issue.) Or should I just keep my mouth shut? I have to tell you, I'm really cold because I still cannot get the furnace to light tonight and I'm very very frustrated with this on-going situation.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 06:46 PM

The unit is only 2 yrs old? Should be under wanrrenty for at least 5. sounds like the ignitor needs bent into the flame a little more.

Nov 19, 2009, 06:48 PM
    That's what I thought also, Josh. But when I checked the warranty, it said a year for parts a labor.

I can only hope it is a simple fix, think the tech will be offended if I tell him that?

And thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 06:53 PM

The only thing that can stop a furnace from lighting, if the ignitor is glowing and the gas valve is working would be.

Bad ignitor placement
    Low gas pressure
    Dirty burner orifice, not the case if it lights most of the time.
    And bad sequence timing on the control board.

I have never seen a furnace without a 5 yr part warranty!
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 06:58 PM

w
    http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Home/Produ...4/Default.aspx
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Perhaps the orifice facing the burner closest to the ignitor is partially clogged. I have detected this situation before by using a stick lighter to establish ignition, and found that all but one burner was lighting - naturally, the one closest to the ignitor.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:16 PM

Hmmm... so if it is the circuit board, I will definitely be getting a hold of Goodman!

I'll mention these things to the tech when he returns tomorrow; I just wish I could the dang thing to light tonight. We live in a concrete block, cement slab, big open roomed, 1 story building and it is really cold in here now. (It's my father-in-law's old TV shop he built in the 50's.)
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:18 PM

What is happing tonight? Does the vent fan and the ignitor come on? Or is something different happing now??

Nov 19, 2009, 07:21 PM

Same thing. Igniter glows, it won't light, and shuts itself down after 3 tries.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Oh, and it was running when the tech left this evening.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:24 PM

Were you with him while he was looking at the furnace? Is the ignitor dimming before the gas starts to come in?

Nov 19, 2009, 07:26 PM

That I don't know; but I don't think it was dimming. I'll check it now...

I was near him, but not with him.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:28 PM
    No it's not dimming, has a steady glow.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:32 PM

Is the ignitor flat or round? And can you see the barcket holding it?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Here is a bonus feature offered EXCLUSIVELY by Goodman: self-diagnostic confusion. I have encountered a few Goodman units that experienced a failure of the pressure switch, but the circuit board did not recognize it correctly. Initially, the P/S would engage, but faulty contacts could not support the progressive increase in current as the circuit board relays were being powered in sequence. Enough current was passing through the P/S to "fool" the circuit board, but not enough to sustain operating sequence. A timely by-pass of the P/S revealed the problem.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:35 PM

It's round, and I might be able to see the bracket if I (carefully) stick a mirror in there. Which I going to do right now...
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Here is a bonus feature offered EXCLUSIVELY by Goodman: self-diagnostic confusion. I have encountered a few Goodman units that experienced a failure of the pressure switch, but the circuit board did not recognize it correctly. Initially, the P/S would engage, but faulty contacts could not support the progressive increase in current as the circuit board relays were being powered in sequence. Enough current was passing through the P/S to "fool" the circuit board, but not enough to sustain operating sequence. A timely by-pass of the P/S revealed the problem.

This is what could be happening, I had it do that once on a trane unit.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:39 PM
    No bracket, it is held in place by a small collar/hole going through the metal above the burners.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:42 PM

Is this ignitor metal or ceramic? I hate these new metal ignitors. Find the presures switch? And the little tube that goes between it and the vent motor. Gently remove the tube and blow gently into the switch and the motor. Maybe this will take care of the question kc was having.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:44 PM

It's ceramic, I'll try and locate the pressure switch. Little round thingie, right? Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 hour lockout - What next? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rheem Criterion II gas furnace. The unit starts and runs okay most of the time. However it will stop occasionally and will go into 1-hour lockout mode (based on light codes) . What is causing unit to work properly sometimes and not others? I have checked the orange flame light. It...

Furnace lockout [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bryant furnace model 394GAZ036100. The problem I am having is intermitant. Furnace will run fine sometimes 6-8 hr, cycles OK and then doesn't start up on calling for heat. If I shut of power and turn it back on it will start and cycle OK. Never has messed up while I am sitting there...

Gas furnace lockout [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace will light, but then the flame goes away within a few seconds. It does this several times and then the LED light blinks six times which the sticker on the furnace indicates means a system lockout. What can I do to repair this?

Boiler on lockout [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a worcester 9/14cbi boiler. It has been in place for 5 years, but has been playing up for 2 years so far. Things have got progressively worse, and now it is pretty much constantly on lockout. In the last 2 weeks I have had a new pump, new circuit board, new sensor leads and the whole...

Tenant Lockout [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renting weekly for a commercial space in VA. I have a signed lease. What are my rights regarding the landlord locking me out of the space? I would like to know if the "wrongful eviction/lockout" is worth pursuing? My payments were behind by 4 weeks, but I never paid weekly from the start; I...

View more questions Search