Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gruber02 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Wiring a motion Detector into a 3 way system
    I want to install a single motion detector in my garage to control the two lights.the lights are controlled by two 3 way switches one in the garage and one just inside the door inside the house.Can I install the single detector at one of the lights to control them both in this system?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber02
    I want to install a single motion detector in my garage to control the two lights.
    The motion detector should be installed at the swich box (not at the lights) from which the power comes. The two other leads that go to the second switch can be combined to disable the second switch or only outgoing power connected to the other switch (doesn't matter which one unless you want the second switch to be 'on' in the up position vs. the down position). The other lead that goes to the second switch would be taped open. If the two other leads are not connected then the first switch (with the motion detector) controls the light by motion and the second switch enables or disables the system.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Depends on how things are wired up. Some circuits have a 2 wire cable that goes from one switch to the lights. If so, you can wire the motion detector into the hot wire at the first light connecting the load side to the hot wire to each of lights.

Nov 9, 2006, 12:11 PM
    If you wire the detector at the light's outlet box, it will be a bad installation... trust me (there will be too many ways to turn the lights off and you'll be left in the dark)!

Nov 9, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    The motion detector should be installed at the swich box (not at the lights) from which the power comes. The two other leads that go to the second switch can be combined to disable the second switch or only outgoing power connected to the other switch (doesn't matter which one unless you want the second switch to be 'on' in the up position vs. the down position). The other lead that goes to the second switch would be taped open. If the two other leads are not connected then the first switch (with the motion detector) controls the light by motion and the second switch enables or disables the system.
    Thanks I need the detector to be in the garage and I haven't determined yet if the power source is at this switch or the one inside the house.The garage is completely finished.

Nov 9, 2006, 02:10 PM
    If you rewire the swich in the house and connect all the swiches coductors together, then you bypass that swich and you can control the garage lights from the garage swich by replacing the 3-way swich with a 2-way swich (a standard motion detector controlled swich is a two-way swich).

So I recommend bypassing the house switch, replace the house switch with a blank cover plate and replace the garage 3-way swich with a standard 2-way motion controlled switch.

I'm sure you realize this is a very labor easy and cost effective method compared to the work required to install a motion detector at the lights. Also, this system is much more reliable.

Actually, my house has the same problem having a house 3-way switch control the garage lights. The garage lights would often be left on all night. Instead of a motion detector, I replaced the house 3-way switch with an indicating 3-way swich. If the garage lights are on the swich is illuminated. Problem solved!!

Nov 9, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    If you rewire the swich in the house and connect all the swiches coductors together, then you bypass that swich and you can control the garage lights from the garage swich by replacing the 3-way swich with a 2-way swich (a standard motion detector controlled swich is a two-way swich).

So I recommend bypassing the house switch, replace the house switch with a blank cover plate and replace the garage 3-way swich with a standard 2-way motion controlled switch.

I'm sure you realize this is a very labor easy and cost effective method compared to the work required to install a motion detector at the lights. Also, this system is much more reliable.

Actually, my house has the same problem having a house 3-way switch control the garage lights. The garage lights would often be left on all night. Instead of a motion detector, I replaced the house 3-way switch with an indicating 3-way swich. If the garage lights are on the swich is illuminated. Problem solved!!
    Can you tell me where you purchased the indicating 3 way switch or the brand name?Thanks gruber02

Nov 10, 2006, 06:40 AM
    1. Home Depot

2. Leviton

The switch is a soft touch switch.

Nov 10, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Thanks I will head to Home Depot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

Motion Detector to Sprinkler transformer question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to hook a sprinkler valve up to a motion detector. The motion detector (Heath Zenith SL-5316) will put out "up to" 500W, and 4.2A (120 VAC). The sprinkler valve (Orbitz 57020) requires 18VAC min, but is spec'd at 24VAC to draw 0.35A when it switches and 0.23A when it is holding. ...

Wiring for an Irrigation System [ 4 Answers ]

I have an irrigation system with an underground well, a tank, a pump start relay switch, a timer and a pressure switch set to turn on at 20 psi and off at 50 psi. There are 3 zone valves connected to the timer. There is a separate zone for hose bibs that is not connected to a valve or the timer,...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Questions on wiring up a Leviton PR180 Motion Activated Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Newbie here - hopefully you guys can give me some help on a wiring question. I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put the PR180, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B. Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I...

View more questions Search