Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rita Hughes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Union dues
    The employees at the not for profit agency I work at joined the local teamsters union a few years ago. This week we were informed that there will be a change in our uniion dues starting on the pay reveived tomorrow. The change is as follows: all persons making less than $11 an hour will have their dues reduced, everyone making ^ $11.01 will be paying
    2 1/2 times more 37.50. My question is, can the union charge two different amounts of dues to people working for the same agency, getting the same representation based solely on the amount of pay each person receives?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Yes. Check the bylaws of the Union and/or the union contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Yes, often in some industries, where employees can make very large amounts they may have several levels of dues.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 9, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Yes they can, and its fair if you think on it if your dues are based on a percntage of your pay and not a preset amount .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor union dues [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Our system wide leaders of our union has kept and spent the dues that belonged to our local. I consider this missappropriation of funds?? Or something else?? We want our money, but they refuse to give it because there seems to be no money at the state office. They are asking to bowwor...

View more questions Search