Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddyman5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Double pole breaker to two singles
    Hi , I would like to know if I can remove a double 50 amp breaker that no longer runs my electric stove and replace it with two 20 amp single breakers to run my outdoor stuff , such as pool & christmas lights . I have replaced these murray breakers before , but I never replaced a double with two singles . Just wanted to know if its OK to do ?
    Thanks mr mom in ny
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:29 AM

If you have a neutral, you can, you will need to pigtail a #12 wire to your #6's at the panel so it will fit into breaker and at recepticles so it will go around the screws. Since you will be sharing a neutral with 2 circuits(Both need to be on opposite phases)Just install a 2 pole 20 amp breaker for safety. When sharing a neutral both need to be tied together.

Nov 19, 2009, 07:51 AM

Hi stratmando , Im sorry , but I don't quite understand what your saying , see I wanted to run 2 different lines into the breaker box and remove the stove line completely . Are you saying the breaker box is set-up for a double breaker in that spot and I can not use two singles with out tieing them togather ? Thanks again
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:03 AM

Tieing together the 2 breaker handles or a double breaker is necessary, as you may turn off 1 circuit thinking there is no power, then open a neutral and their will still be power on the Neutral, and a shock can occur.
    When you say you want to remove the stove line, do you mean the wiring?
    I would use existing wiring. Faster, Cheaper and less Voltage Drop.

Nov 19, 2009, 08:15 AM

Stratmando , Ok sorry to be a not getting it pain in the butt , so what your saying is I should put a double 20 amp breaker in the spot where I'm removing the double 50 because that spot is set-up for a double , so how can I run two separate lines to a double 20 amp . How do they connect ? Thanke again

Nov 19, 2009, 08:26 AM

Hey Stratmando , see what I'm saying is I thought you can only run 1 line to a double pole breaker , because both lines are hot and go into the double breaker and ground gos to ground bar right ? So how do I get 4 hot lines into a double breaker when they are not set - up to accept 4 hot lines . Do you see what I'm saying ? Thanks again

Nov 19, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Dose Anyone else know what I'm trying to get at ? Please help ! Thank you
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 02:34 PM

I Really need to know if you have a Neutral, if not, with existing 2 conductors, you can only get 1 20 Amp Circuit. 1 wire will be reidentified at both ends with white tape and wirenutted to a Number 12 at each end as well.

If you Have 2 Hots AND a Neutral, then You can Pigtail a Number 12 on the 2 Hots at the Panel and hook 1 to one pole of a 20 Amp 2 pole breaker, and the other to the other pole. The Neutral Can stay connected in the panel as it is.
    Then where you have 2 recepticles, The white will have 2 #12 Pigtails and hook to each
    Receptacle light colored screw. Then each hot will have 1 #12 pigtail on each, and connect to each recepticles Dark screw.
    Besides code, it is good to have 2 circuits sharing a neutral(multi circuit), on a 2 pole breaker to stop an amateur electrician from accidentally placing both breakers on same phase whish will overload the neutral.
    2 hots sharing a neutral has a cancelling effect. If both draw 20 amps, the neutral will draw zero.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Yes you can remove the 2 pole breaker and install two single pole breakers of the same brand and type.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 06:41 AM

Need more info?

Nov 20, 2009, 07:18 AM

Hey tkrussell , Thank you ! I know stratmado meant well but I thought he was saying that I could not switch a 2 pole for a 1 pole without all the a whole lot of work . Because all I wanted to know is if that spot in the breaker box was set-up for a 2 pole and that's what had to go back for some sort of wiring resin. But your saying no 2 single poles are fine . That's all I wanted to know . Thank you so much for the info and have a good one my friend .

Nov 20, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Yes you can remove the 2 pole breaker and install two single pole breakers of the same brand and type.
    Thank you , that's all I wanted to know
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:11 AM

I understand you only want to learn a little.
    2 single pole breakers take the same space as a 2 pole 20 amp Breaker, and a 2 pole breaker Insures Both circuits are on opposite phases. Installing A double pole breaker is as Hard/easy as 2 single pole breakers.
    Sorry for the information overload.
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Dec 5, 2009, 04:57 PM

Assumming you are running two new #12/2 cables that you are using to supply two different locations at 120 volts and 20 amps for each, your good to replace the 240 volt, 50 amp circuit breaker with th2 two twentys.
    GAETS Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 05:36 PM

Hi Daddyman5, If I understand your question right. Yes you can remove the double pole 50Amp Breaker and replace it by 2 single pole 20A Breakers. Only thing is do not forget to take your new wire and screw the white wire #12AWG to to the rest of the white wires so you can get 120volts out. Also when you remove the Double pole breaker make sure that if it leaves a space on the cover pan door to use a filler blank to cover the remaining hole left from the Double pole.

I hope that can help you.
    PS I work for an Electrical Distributor.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:40 AM

Daddyman, Do you have 2 neutrals? are you pulling new # 12 wire?
    I am puzzled why all are suggesting 2 single pole breakers, especially if you are sharing a neutral. Opening a neutral on a Multicircuit can damage items on other shared circuit. Expensive. Perhaps its not code everywhere yet. Why risk it. Plus this insures they are on opposite phases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a...

Using a Double Pole Breaker to feed two circuits [ 11 Answers ]

I have 40' run from the main panel with BX and want to use 14/3 instead of two runs of 14/2. Is there a problem using a double pole breaker (15amp) to feed (with 14/3) a split receptacle and then a lighting circuit on one half and 4 receptacles on the other? Is the only drawback is when one...

Connecting a Double Pole Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have to start a motor by energising a Contactor, and I have only positive 24 volts dc,but the connection needs positive as well as negative 24 vots dc. How can I get Positive,negative 24 volts dc from only positive 24 vols dc..

How Double Pole Circuit Breaker Trip? [ 9 Answers ]

On my electrical service panel, the "MAIN" breaker is a double pole breaker and each side is marked "100 Amps." Does that mean that when the total amperage exceed 100 one side it will trip, or if the total of both sides exceed 100 amps it will trip? Also, I recently bought a new electric range. I...

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

View more questions Search