Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xHypoCondriacx Posts: 118, Reputation: 3

Nov 8, 2006, 09:44 PM
    A Bump Behind My Right Ear
    well I noticed an irriation behind my ear which if I'm correct I think started as a pimple.. cause it was really small.. and it doesn't hurt unless I actually pressure it.

then it becomes a little irritated not painful..

but I'm worried is it a lymph node. or a Cyst?

I showed my mother she said its prob a pimple.. I used a compact mirror and looked at it.. its pretty big to me.. but not noticeable because I have long hair.. which covers my ears and stop by my eye brows.

I'm very paranoid all the time when things pop up on my body..

its natural for me.. I want to get it checked out. But before I do I wanted to ask around..

anybody might have an idea?. I seen people with these big bumps hanging off there ears before.. but my mom says u have to be born with that stuff to get it.. so I'm a little relieved..

although I feel sorry for those who do have it.

well thanks peeps [=
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 9, 2006, 03:17 PM
    There are lymph nodes that live behind the ear - and if you've had a scalp or ear infection or a recent cold, they can become enlarged. But, it could possibly be a sebaceous cyst - these can sometimes become quite large or possibly become infected if not properly treated. It would be impossible to accurately determine what you have online - so you'll need to have a doctor determine what it is

Nov 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Ohh yes I'm definitely going to the doctors.. I noticed that there seems to be a little dot.. scabbish like maybe.. around the bump.. which could have been a bite.. and the skin where the bump is.. is starting to get a little hard.. I pray to god it isn't a tumour.. most likely a cyst.. but I am going to go..

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
    I doubt it is a tumor. Feel it, is it round and symmetrical?

Nov 11, 2006, 07:49 PM
    that's quite hard to answer.. because its like a little squishy ball.. feels like fluids inside..

I once had a cyst on my back which was the same way.. laster for while.. then it poped and went away..

so I'm not quite sure what it is.. but either way I'm going to the doctors I would go to er.. but it can't be that serious I would just be wasting there time so I got to schedule an appointment I suppose.

I am really scared though.. I'm only 19 I can't have a tumor I mean damn. How could I.

anyway.. [=

also one more question.. if by any chance its anything but a tumour.. is there needles? Medications or antibiotics to help it go away? Or will it stay thre?
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 07:57 PM
    The good news is... you can relax;) No reason to go to the ER unless you are bleeding to death or having a heart attack!!

This sounds like nothing more than a simple fluid filled sac, pustule. Very much like a pimple. It is common to get them behind the ear. Your hair produces what is called sebum (oil for you lay people :p) it is common to get some oil build up on the skin behind the ear. I have had them numerous times!!

If it were a tumor you would have all sorts of different symptoms. Also, tumors don't necessarily feel like fluid in a sac, they are more fiborous.

Yes, go to the doctor, but it is nothing to freak out over. Most likely it is just a really big pimple. Sebaceous cyst is what it is called. If it were to burst you would most likely get some whitish/yellowish pus out and then clear/pinkish fluid, then it will scab over and go away.

Chill... it will all be okay.

It will go away, like a pimple. If it is large and painful enough the doc can lance it to help ease the pressure, but it really should be nothing to worry about.

Nov 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Thank you very much your words are calming and relaxing. I really should stop worrying so much..

Thankssssssssssssssssss

I called my doctors office.. and left a lady a call back number for my doctor. And once I do get this checked out.

I will let everybody know how it went. So hopefully my post can help anybody else who might be expeirencing the same problem. As I've read bumps behind the ear are very common..

[= u have a great night <3
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 08:18 PM
    When this happens to me I swab the area with hydrogen peroxide. It tends to dry the skin and then the "blister" will go its course and usually burst on its own.

Again, don't worry... most likely this is nothing to worry about. Tumors do not have that blistery feeling that you describe.

Hopefully it'll pop on its own before the docs office even calls you back.

BTW, how long have you had it?

Nov 11, 2006, 08:33 PM
    well I noticed it.. maybe 2 weeks ago almost.. as I said it started as a itchy little bump like a pimple I assumed.. then it grew its course.

I didn't think it was anything.. and my own mother saw it.. and said nothing was wrong she's either blind.. or just doesn't care.

]=

and it feels kind of hard.. but it has weak spots to wear it feels fluid like as I said..

its very random.. that's why I don't want to go based on what I feel..

u can never be to sure. But thanks <3

Nov 15, 2006, 06:52 PM
    I have yet to see the doctor because the bump behind my ear has shrunken and is in the process of going away [healing]

Topic closed...

Feb 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Topic Was CLOSED: , But please leave this topic, "viewable"
    8000 views,
    That's a lot of curious readers out there."

so that means this might help people with a simularity of my problem,

and give them an understanding. possibly even "HOPE" instead of scaring themselves to death.

Thank you all for your knowledge.
    omgwhattodonow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
    OMG... Im freaking out now! This pimple or what ever you want to call it- is a size of a medium pea. My fiancés looked at it the other day and his eye popped out his head. I'm like what the hell is it? I'm a picker there for I couldn't stop picking at it- and peeled the skin off it. Now.. its pink and bloody looking.

It started a couple of months ago-on both ears. I popped them-and they went away-but for some odd reason this one is back and even more worse then before.

I pocked it with a pin-didn work only blood spilled out. I used my Syringe (Im a diabetic) to drain the fluid out-that didn't work either.
    When I popped it- for some reason it feels like a pimple within a pimplin, because I feel this gush inside of it.

What do I do? I want to go to the doctor now-b/c I am a diabetic and my wounds heal slow, the fact that I have literally skinned this thing yet it stays like no tomorrow.

Oh... and by the way I have short hair so imagine myself confidence with this pink pea behind my ear... ewww! :(
    teknogeeek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 01:01 PM
    I am having a blister behind my right ear for the first time and I feel like rupturing it.

However based on what I read, I should and haven't touched/massaged it till now.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the sac to burst and for new skin to recover/grow naturally?

Also is it caused bacuase of Food/Cheese?

nekozrockz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
    I've had 2 and the second on (behind right ear) is still there from my experience with these things they might get a scab like covering on it (which I picked off)and a pus like fluid. The one on my left ear shrank and hardened and now doesn't bother me. If this sounds a lot like your case there's not much need to worry.
    I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR NURSE AND MY OPINION SHOULD NOT REPLACE ONE OF THOSE YOU SHOULD STILL CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL NO MATTER WHAT SIMILARITIES TO MY CASE!!!
    Love aleya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
    I have one of these and its really ugly to me... I have long hair so you can't see it , and I wear things to hide it cause I'm scared that somebody might find out and tease , but I'm going to the doctor for it !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Behind Ear [ 2 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance, I have had a lump behind my ear for a long time now, over 2 years. I haven't noticed it grow significantly. I'm only 14 and it's seemed to grow as I grow so it's always in proportion. I just thought I'd check here for your expertise.

Lump behind my ear... I'm only 15 [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I also have a small lump behind my ear, I noticed it yesterday and it does hurt a bit when I move my ear, what could this be? I have never had me ear pierced or any other problems related to my ear. Any one know what it could be? Should I see my doctor?

Ear Sickness [ 3 Answers ]

My son who is 5 years old has some sort of redness and some itchy boils on his right ear. Few days back transparent liquid was oozing out from his ear. It doesn't stink. Doctor has given him some ear drops as he says it is an ear viral infection. Recently the redness has increased and I...

Swimmer's ear or ? [ 3 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I woke with a painful right ear. Things started getting worse with the same ear and an emergency doctor told me it's swimmer's ear. The irony is: I don't swim but I guess water is just a medium and it could be that night's shower. Anyway, I have been taking ear drops and...

Ear infection [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops. I was wondering if what Labman suggested for cleaning the ears can be done easily or should I have someone show me first then do it on my own. I really would hate to screw up his hearing or balance in case I poke something in the...

View more questions Search