Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I believe they are:
    Hello again, NK:

I said they were hated. I didn't say that they didn't deserve it. For the very reasons you point out, they are a tough organisation dedicated to preserving their own and making lots of money. Sounds like your average corporation.

I still don't see any criminal activity. I'm willing to be wrong, though. As I said, I don't have a dog in this fight. Let's see if they're convicted.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
    There are many court cases: Scientology and the legal system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Looks like it's reached the highest part of their parliament:
    Scientology faces allegations of torture in Australia | World news | guardian.co.uk
    Xenophon said he had received letters from many more former church members who were too afraid to talk to authorities.
    The letter from Aaron Saxton claimed he had assisted in the forced confinement and torture of a female church member who was kept under house arrest, Xenophon told the Senate. Saxton also said he was involved in coercing female followers to have abortions to keep followers loyal to the organisation and to allow them to keep working for it.
    "Aaron says women who fell pregnant were taken to offices and bullied to have an abortion. If they refused, they faced demotion and hard labour," Xenophon said. "Aaron says one staff member used a coat hanger and self-aborted her child for fear of punishment.".
    One letter from a former executive director of the Sydney branch of the church, Carmel Underwood, said that when she fell pregnant she was put under extreme pressure to have an abortion.
    "Carmel says she also witnessed a young girl who had been molested by her father being coached as to what she should say to investigating authorities in order to keep the crimes secret," Xenophon said.
    Anna and Dean Detheridge from Sydney, who spent 17 years on church staff, said they were "subjected to physical and mental abuse during their time with the organisation", according to the parliamentary statement.
    "Anna and Dean also provided evidence where information they and others have revealed to the church have been used to blackmail and control. They also provided more information about coerced abortions," Xenophon said.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Senator Nick Xenophon says Scientology is 'a criminal organisation' | National News | News.com.au

The man has balls of steel. He's right of course. It'll be interesting to see how this develops. France and Germany have already convicted it of fraud. More issues here: Scientology controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are your thoughts on this "religion"?
    Don't compare the need to stay in the game with bravery. Xenophon is an independent Senator and his remarks were made behind the barrier of parliamentary privilege. He cannot be sued as Scientology likes to do to silence its critics. This gets him in the game as a concerned politician with evidence of wrong doing to present

Scientology is about as dangerous a cult can be. It mucks with the mind of its followers whilst extracting large amounts of cash in the process

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Faulty fan when thermostat calls for "fan on" [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked recently to get furnace going for a friend, it's a 7900 series Coleman in a 1980 trailer house,, I said "Replace it" but money is the issue so I would like to ask the community some questions about this unit or a resource which could help me troubleshoot this things woes. Using the...

How Does God Calls Himself? E.g "i am the bread of life" [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my name is kate, and I'm doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one I could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help...

View more questions Search