Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Ridding home of Racoons
    Probably should have checked here first, but I had to get rid of the critters before they damaged the house further.

I've been hearing a noise coming from the attic over one bedroom for a few days. Sunday night I heard some very loud noises around my A/C unit. We have squirrels in the yard but this seemed too loud for them. So I investigated. Shining a flashlight around I found myself staring at a rather hefty raccoon sitting on my roof. He stared at me for several minutes then disappeared. I heard no more noises that night either inside or outside so I thought (in my naivete) that I may have scared him off. Then last night he was back hanging onto the sills on my window wall. He then started climbing up. I got outside just in time to see him enter my attic through a hole in my soiffit. A few minutes later I noticed a slightly smaller raccoon (his mate?) climb in through the same hole.

So I called around this morning to find someone to rid me of these pests. Called a few places and the general quote was $400-$600. So I got one guy over. He charged me $350 for investigation and setup of traps, then it would be $50 for each animal caught. He went up into the attic and found the smaller raccoon nested there. He tranked her (?) (several times) and she managed to crawl out the soffit hole and get up onto the roof, where she finally succumbed to the tranquilizer and he was able to noose her and put her into a cage. Then he set traps for the other one.

He seemed knowledgeable and professional (though it took 4 shot to trank her). But my question (remembering I'm on Long Island, NY) is this a reasonable fee? My second question is did he act professionally from my account?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 03:18 AM
    On Long Island that's not an unusual fee schedule. The per-animal-trapped rates are normally better for the consumer than a set price unless you have evidence of a massive infestation.

Aiming in an attic, low pressure gas cartridge, waterproof fur/winter coats on the animal; four shots isn't a big concern.

Was sealing the hole in the soffiting part of the deal? If not, and I don't know about union rules which could mandate it being a separate contract, did he recommend a good contractor to have it done when the male is removed? That would answer your question regarding professionalism. A pro will solve the problem, a hack will hope for more business from the same problem.

Nov 18, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Yes, sealing the hole is part of the deal, but he did indicate that it wouldn't be a permanent fix and did recommend I get someone to complete it. Part of the reason for this is part of the fascia board is chewed through so you can see a gap on the inside edge of the gutter.

Well I do feel better.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Sounds like you can recommend this guy. Glad I could reassure you.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
    I'm not sure about rates, but I do know that raccoons when cornerned, are vicious animals. They will absolutely tear a dog up.

Maybe this guy wants to get a good dose of drugs in them before he tries to handle them.

Cat is the man. He gave me the recommended steps to rid our house of flying squirrels. I am glad that I was able to do it myself. If I had to pay per animal, I would have taken out a second mortgage. We had a major infestation going on.

It's been 6 months, and all is well. They've moved on, probably to my neighbors.

Well, good luck Scott.

Nov 21, 2009, 05:41 AM
    We got the second varmint!
    Login | Facebook

Not sure if others can see this album. If not I'll put the pictures elsewhere.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 05:52 AM
    Now all that's left is the cleanup. Have the insulation checked while you're at it. Droppings can cause problems down the road, too.

Nov 21, 2009, 06:01 AM

I had contractors come by yesterday and picked one for the job. When he went up on the roof he found a couple of other places where the shingles had been damaged at the edge. Also since the fascia board was damaged at the point of entry, he's going to have to remove the gutter and is going to put aluminum flashing along the whole edge of the roof.

Another question I had is there anything else I can do, once he's finished, to inhibit the squirrels from chewing on the roof? I'm going to have to paint the soffit so is there some paint or paint additive I can use?

I also thought of putting a squirrel feeder at a far corner of the property. Figuring if I feed them there they won't come bother the roof. Is that a good idea?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:14 AM
    Scott, for now, every tree in our yard is wrapped with 18" flashing as to prevent the squirrels from climbing them and gaining access to our roof. Is this something that you could possibily do?

I think that you should get some form of predator facsimile, like a owl, hawk, or snakes, that fool the squirrels into thinking that they are being hunted. They are very smart, and will figure it out soon enough, but TRY to deterr them . As far as the feeder, I think that will let them think that they are welcome, and they will seek shelter nearby, like your house.

Cat taught me to use paprika, and mothballs, to create a scent barrier that they do not like. It worked for our flying squirrels. We had a 13 year infestation of them, and had literally DOZENS of them. But thanks to our resident pest control expert, we have evicted them for good.

Nov 21, 2009, 07:01 AM

The flashing won't work for me. I have fences, sheds and other house too close to make that practical.

I might give the predator a try and mothballs sound good.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Mothballs are the next best thing to sliced bread... it got rid of the skunks I had who decided to have a litter under my crawl space about 10 years ago.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Attics are the perfect place for mothballs. They're a slow release fumigant that not only kill pests but repel them. I don't know how well they will work on raccoons, but other critters hate them.

Paint additives that would serve as a repellant I am unaware of.
    ruzzel01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 10:58 AM
    I agree, sealing the hole is part of the deal, but he did indicate that it wouldn't be a permanent fix and did recommend I get someone to complete it. But the fee is not reasonable.

{advertising removed}

Nov 24, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzzel01 View Post
    I agree, sealing the hole is part of the deal, but he did indicate that it wouldn't be a permanent fix and did recommend I get someone to complete it. But the fee is not reasonable.
    Is there a purpose behind this post? Or are you just trying to advertise something?

Nov 24, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Is there a purpose behind this post? Or are you just trying to advertise something?
    No. I just want to share which pest control company helped me when I needed somebody to take off some termites and raccoons in my ceiling.

Nov 24, 2009, 03:03 PM
    No. I just want to share which pest control company helped me when I needed somebody to take off some termites and raccoons in my ceiling.
    And this isn't a company you work for? I find it odd that you registered from the same computer as another member who seems to be promoting the same company.

If I was in Phoenix, it might be appropriate for you to mention this company. Since I'm not it wasn't and, in fact, is a violation of the rules of this site.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Mothballs are the next best thing to sliced bread....
    Which reminds me... it's mouse time. Time to get some mothballs for the attic and garage.
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
    And this isn't a company you work for? I find it odd that you registered from the same computer as another member who seems to be promoting the same company.

If i was in Phoenix, it might be appropriate for you to mention this company. Since I'm not it wasn't and, in fact, is a violation of the rules of this site.
    Thanks for covering my back there, Scott. :D

Nov 26, 2009, 11:57 AM

If i was in Phoenix, it might be appropriate for you to mention this company. Since I'm not it wasn't and, in fact, is a violation of the rules of this site.

To all:

No I don't work for this company. You can take off my links and that's okay with me. Please don't get me wrong, but I am not here to advertise nor spam. I will still participate in this forum's discussions even without links. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2009, 12:15 PM
    To all:

No I don't work for this company. You can take off my links and that's okay with me. Please don't get me wrong, but I am not here to advertise nor spam. i will still participate in this forum's discussions even without links. Thanks.
    Well that leaves me with one other problem. Your IP indicates you are from the Philippines, yet you seem to claiming to be in Arizona. Why?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Racoons ! [ 17 Answers ]

OH MY... I thought I had squirrels in the attic, but since I am remodeling a few areas and needed new soffits, I decided to pull the old down and OH what a scare. I was face to face with 2 racoons as big as a dog and I have no clue what to do with them. I got the water hose and squirted them until...

Ridding bad energies from my new house! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, we just bought a semi detatch which has a bad history of fights and police. We also have neighbours who do not send off the greatest energies. We are having a really hard time adjusting to our new home and it feels like a constant heavy weight on us. Does anyone know how to rid these energies...

Racoons - truly a pest? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I am in a debate with my husband and hope I can get some insight to whether I have a problem or not. We live out in the country and have a racoon that visits us and the neighbors now. I noticed that our garbage was getting into and our cats food was dwindling at a rapid pace. At first...

View more questions Search