Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    golfandhaircuts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Programs won't run, files won't open
    Good evening. I have been having trouble with my Windows XP and it has gotten so bad I rarely use my profile. All other profiles (3 more for the family) work just fine. Only mine is messed up. None of the programs will run and I can't open files. The background is there and the first menu will pop up when asked for but the program list won't populate and any other functions are not working.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am a novice at fixing computers. Well beginner really. If you need more info I can offer but I don't know what else to say right now.

Thank you for your help.

Todd
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Backup your files first!

Delete your profile and create another one from scratch! There's no point in flogging a dead horse unless you have a very good reason to:)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 9, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Nice idea Stu, I'd try a repair install this maybe something worse than a corrupt profile.
    Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing a repair install,
    And Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    golfandhaircuts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Backup your files first!

Delete your profile and create another one from scratch! There's no point in flogging a dead horse unless you have a very good reason to:)

What if my profile is the main "owner" or "administrator" profile?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 10, 2006, 05:30 AM
    As long as you can use any profile to create another, you can just create a new user with administrator rights.

There are processes where you can copy the contents of one profile over the top of another, but that's getting a bit more complex!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

.exe Files Won't Run From Shortcuts [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here and have a problem with my PC. Last night while on the internet, a small window popped up which said something like " Windows will now shutdown". In the grey box below was the message "oh no :-(". My computer then shut down & automatically restarted. I have McAfee Viruscan and...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

Ran SpyBot, now I can't open files... [ 2 Answers ]

After fixing all the checked problems from the Spybot scan, I tried opening up other files and programs, and the same error keeps coming up: "Cannot open file, must create an assocation file type in Folder Options in the Control Panel" Then, I tried changing the .exe file type in the Folder...

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

I can't open files by double-clicking them from folders, though I can through the different softwares.

.exe files won't run [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a big problem with my computer and I'm not sure if it is a virus. When ever I try to run any programs, I get an error message saying that the file cannot be found. But if you search for the file manually it is there.. it just won't execute when you try to run. Is this...

View more questions Search