Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Heat pump never turns on, handler blows continuous with no heat except with AUX heat
    10 year old Rheem air handler RHBA-21J8MFCA, 1/3HP, 2.8A.
    New WeSt Columbia, SC 29170, Model 2HP13L48P-1B, HCFC-22, 4TON.

Installed new out of box iN July and AC working splendidly but start-up is "violent" and loud. Installer says I need some sort of "start-up kit". I put off as had planned major re-model. Weather changes and units sit unused for couple weeks. Cold spell hits and unit heats well, but again "violent" and loud on start-up, and then again every couple minutes so I use it very sparingly. Weather gets mild and again unit sits unused for couple weeks. Weather's forcasted to change so I get installer out, and with nothing more than observation, testing from the thermostat, and tracing wires he gets:
    1. heat on AUX, but outside unit never starts, even on AC
    2. Low Pressure Switch Fault, which Homeowners Manual indicates as (Optional)

Installer/repairman now says color coding all wrong on thermostat, and the TB strip removed from the air handler because that installer wanted to be the only person that could service that unit (I think I smell BS now). He leaves saying to call him when I get a wiring schematic. Lo n behold schematic's right there on the cover (definitely BS I smell).

Now the weather changes (it was still quite mild when he was here which was more of his BS) and now I get no heat even on AUX, and very lo heat on EMER.

I've been telecom technician for 28 years, so I start tracing wires and everything is connected, but W1 at the heat pump and other end connected to the PURPLE wire on the handler (per notes on schematic at http://www.kwikpro.com/Documents%5C9...1779-08-06.pdf for "TYPICAL "(-)BHA INDOOR UNIT" for the purple "THIS WIRE IS USED TO TURN ON STRIP HEAT DURING DEFRoST. OMIT CONNECTION FOR MOST ECONOMICAL OPERTION". I call the guy and ask "did you disc W1?"His answer is no, he didn't touch anything.

I pour over this for days and finally I connect W1 at the pump, remove W1 from the purple connection at the handler, and reconnect it at the to air handle blue/white and black/white which is connected to thermostat W1.

My condition now with overcast skies and 43F is with heat on, thermostat lo, i get green/red flashing LEDs at the pump. Per the manual this "Normal operation/power to control"

Increasing thermostat slowly eventually turns handler blower motor on, pump never starts and has flashing red, which is the "Low pressure switch fault (optional)", and no heat. The blower seems as it would run like this continuously if I don't finally turn the thermostat back down, which turns blower off and flashing red/green LEDs.

Without turning the thermostat down, but continuing slightly higher I get AUX indicator, warm air, flashing red LED, and pump never starts.

Unit will heat to temp and extinguish AUX indicator, blow recycled air till it starts to cool, and flashing red LED. Again, unless I lower the thermostat it seems it would blow continuously. All the while the pump never runs.

Am I connected properly now and have low freon due the previous incorrect wiring, or am I just in a big mess now? Please help before I end up spending a lot more money.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Incorrect control wiring would not cause loss of freon, but loss of freon would cause low-pressure switch fault. Most residential systems are not difficult for a pro to trace out, even without a schematic. Sounds like you are dealing with an inexperienced tech. And BS, to boot. Seek out a tech who knows what they are doing.
    Rryzinski Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Incorrect control wiring would not cause loss of freon, but loss of freon would cause low-pressure switch fault. Most residential systems are not difficult for a pro to trace out, even without a schematic. Sounds like you are dealing with an inexperienced tech. And BS, to boot. Seek out a tech who knows what they are doing.
    You said that there was a loud noise or voilent noise at star up did you find out what that was ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump AC blows out Heat. [ 2 Answers ]

My heat pump, set to cool the house, is instead cooling mother nature and heating up our house. It worked just fine yesterday; not a thing has changed. Any ideas?:confused:

Goodman heat pump does not switch on for heat and the AC blows A/H fuses. [ 4 Answers ]

My Goodman heat pump, model GSH130361AD, heat does not switch on (outer unit). When it first went out, the Honeywell T8411R t-stat digital display went blank. First, I tried replacing the stat with other, but they only accommodated 5 wires. Wiring to the Honeywell was 7 wires. I'll come back to...

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

Hunter 44155C Wiring - A/C turns on during heat cycle or heat will not shut off [ 0 Answers ]

Trying this again with the correct thermostat specs. Sorry, guys! It's a Hunter 44155C and the wires I have going into it are: White - W/B Red - Rh Green - G Yellow - Y1 Jumper from Rh-Rc

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

View more questions Search