Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talgiri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Tax clarification for L1 receiving per diem alowance in US
    Dear Sir,

I was in US on L1 Visa from 22nd Mar 2009 till 30th Sep 2009. During this period, I have received Per-Diem allowance of $90 per day. But, there was a deduction of Social Security (FICA), Federal Medicare, and Iowa state Tax. My wife was with me for 2 months (Aug and Sep) and I was on vacation to my home country for around 15 days. I was paying Tax in India for this duration as I was receiving my Indian Salary. Am I eligible for a Tax refund? Please advice.

Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:52 AM
    It does not look like you exceeded 183 days in the USA due to your 15-day vacation.

If your Indian salary was paid direct from your country IN India, then that salary is NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

If it was paid through a U.S. subsidiary, however, it IS subject to U.S. income taxes, and I suspect this to be the case because both FICA and Iowa state income taxes were withheld from your salary.

Did they tax the $90 per diem?
    talgiri Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    It does not look like you exceeded 183 days in the USA due to your 15-day vacation.

If your Indian salary was paid direct from your country IN India, then that salary is NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

If it was paid through a U.S. subsidiary, however, it IS subject to U.S. income taxes, and I suspect this to be the case because both FICA and Iowa state income taxes were withheld from your salary.

Did they tax the $90 per diem??

My Indian Salary I received in India was taxed as per Indian Income tax rules. But I am also taxed in US for the 90$ per diem I received in US. I was receiving around 80$ per day after tax. Can I file for returns? Will I get the FICA, State Tax and Federal also as returns??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
    More than likely, you will get the state and federal INCOME tax refunded to you, because you will claim the per diem expense as a itemized deduction using Form 2106.

In my opinion, the per diem is NOT subject to FICA (Social Security and Medicare) xaxes, so you would have to file Form 843 to claim a refund for those withholdings. I suspect that you would have a good case to get a refund of those taxes as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my homework assignment. However it is not a graded hw assignment. This is for study purposes only. Can I please get some detailed answers please. Here it is: T is thinking about starting or acquiring a new business. T is currently in the pie making business where his...

Levying the tax [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to get an idea about my discussions that I need to submit. The town of Seaside has decided to construct a new sea aquarium to attract tourist. The cost of the measure is to be paid by a special tax. Although most of the townspeople believe the sea aquarium is a good idea, there is...

State Tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

How can I see the status of my 2007 and 2008 state tax returns?

Which State Gets the Tax [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nj resident who just accepted a job with a Maryland corporation, and I will be physically working in an office in Maryland. Should my employer withhold md or nj state income tax from my check? I know for a fact that the company pays unemployment insurance to the state of New Jersey, which...

Tax Saving [ 1 Answers ]

I am a United State citizen and bringing my parents in 2-3 months on tourist visa from India. Can I claim them as my dependents for my tax purpose.

View more questions Search