Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrichmond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Terminate Father's Rights (not biological father)
    How can I terminate my exhusband's rights to my 2 year old son? He is not the biological father, he's behind on child support, he's not providing full heath care per our divorce decree, he moved to another state 4 months ago, he has a drug problem and depression problems and has been in rehab 2 times within the last 4 months. I have full custody of my son, I have moved on and will marry a wonderful man that wants to adopt my son. So how can I terminte my ex's rights?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Please read this STICKY... if you have any questions after reading this, we will be happy to help you.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 10:45 AM

Why is your ex the legal father if not also the bio father? If you knew he wasn't the bio father then you shouldn't have put him on the birth certificate (that's fraud). Unless of course you were married when you had another man's baby and he was just assumed to be the father in which case you needed to have the bio father file in court to get his rights. As of right now he is the legal father so unless the bio father steps up and wants to go to court for his son then the fact that he isn't the bio father has absolutely nothing to do with what you are wanting to do. In order for your new husband to adopt you will first have to be married for the length of time your state designates (most a year) then ask your ex if he will allow the adoption and you can let him know that it will end his support obligation and everything toward the child because it will no longer be his child. Unless of course the scenario is that you already had the child when you married your now ex and he adopted in which case it is final you can't just keep switching fathers on a whim.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 12:52 PM

Yes, did your "ex" adopt the child ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida, and I need to know if I can terminate my daughter's father's parental rights without his consent. We were never married, and he never signed her birth certificate anyway. He has not seen her in over a year, and has not given me any money for her since the beginning of...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

Biological father's rights [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I were divorced 3 years ago. While we were divorced I dated another man for about eight monthes and got pregnant with his baby. When he found out I was pregnant he became very nervous and acted like a pathetic child. Even though he had never been married, had no children , and was...

How to terminate my son's biological fathers rights without his consent [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so just a little background about my situation... My ex and I were together for 5 years.. I tell him I'm pregnant and he tells me that it's not his and leaves. I went through the whole pregnancy by myself and he wasn't even there when my son was born. Public Aid made me go through paternity to...

How do I terminate my daughters biological father's rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is four years old. Her biological father has not seen her, supported her in any kind of way since Feb. 2006. I have been married for two years and 4 months. My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Georgia. We were in Texas before. My daughters biological father...

View more questions Search