Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joemartin Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 08:35 AM
    AC Fan Runs Constantly Even if Unit is Turned Off!
    I have looked up this question here already, but it was for a furnace. My question is the same but with a standard outdorr AC unit fan by protech/emerson electric model# K55HXPZG-5379. The blade also has trouble on start up, it tries to move, but only works with a tap on the blade itself.

I have checked the wiring diagram on the inside of the unit and have check that each was in its respcetful place; however, it countines to run. The contacts are not burned or welded together either. I do not know where to go from here, maybe just buy another fan motr or what.

Thank you all in advance for the help. :D
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 04:02 PM

Sound like you need a new motor, the windings must be shorted together.

Nov 17, 2009, 04:07 PM

I was told when it got replaced that the board might be bad, so it was riged up to run. Is this possible?

If so how much do these boards cost?

Thanks in advance.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 04:14 PM

The inside board or the board in the ac? Is this a heatpump?

Nov 17, 2009, 04:25 PM

No the board that is in the outside unit when you take the cover off.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 04:39 PM

What is the make and model of the unit, and is it a heatpump?

Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 PM

Not sure what a heatpump is? Make is a protech/emerson electric model# K55HXPZG-5379
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 05:55 PM

That model number is the fan motor,what is the actual model number on the unit?
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 05:59 PM

A heatpump means your ac runs in the winter and summer both.

Nov 17, 2009, 06:00 PM

Then yes the unit runs year round with heat and ac.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 06:04 PM

The board you are refuring to is a defrost board then. Depending on what brand you have the can run anywhere from $75 to $200. Was that board unwired during heating or ac season?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 07:21 PM

Since you have to tap the blade to get the motor started that sounds like you need a capacitor. The capacitor is the beer can looking thing inside the control area of the AC. They are not very expensive, and you will hae to get one that matches the motor you have.

If you have a duel capacitor, you can tell this by looking at the top, it will have three sets of posts. They are marked F for fan C for common and Herm for the compressor. If this is what you have then buy one just like it. REMEMBER WHERE THE WIRES GO.

Nov 17, 2009, 08:09 PM

What happened was while I was overseas the AC fan motor out side went out. My wife got a friend that works on AC units to come look at it. From what I have been told he said the defrost board was bad so he riged it up to run non stop. I do have a duel cap as well. I will take pictures and post them tonight so that maybe somebody can see what is going on.

Nov 18, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Model: CPJ30-1B Make: Goodman. Ok so luck getting the pictures on, everything I use the file is still to big. But did put the make/model on.

If anyone knows a better way to attach files let me know so I can get them up. Thanks in advance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Fan Runs Constantly Even if Unit is Turned Off! [ 25 Answers ]

I have a two story house with two air conditioning units. One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I rarely if ever use the upstairs unit because the master bedroom is downstairs and no one lives upstairs. I had some company in town the other day and when we cut the air on it ran...

Rheem Central A/C Unit -- Outside Fan Runs Constantly [ 7 Answers ]

Our unit is a RHEEM Classic and was manufactured in 2000. Model #RAMB-048-JAZ The outside fan never turns off. The inside unit runs as it should and cycles on and off appropriately and the A/C cools great. The problem is that we have to go out and remove the disconnect (breaker) outside in order...

Furnace Fan Runs Continually and Randomly [ 4 Answers ]

Chronological Sequence of Events 1.Programmable Thermostat installed in 2007, and was working as programmed 2.New Brock Furnace installed in April of 2009. 3.Furnace has run randomly as if it has a mind of its own, since the installation 4.Sometimes the air is heated and sometimes not...

Intertherm Inc. Model 9007590 heating/ac unit fan runs constantly when on 'cool'. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a mobile home that has an Intertherm Inc. Model 9007590 Heating/Cooling unit. I am trying to use the AC and when I turn both the thermostat and the unit to 'cool' the fan will not shut off on the unit. I have turned the thermostat up to 80 and it still runs. How do I get it...

AC fan runs constantly [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought a new home last fall and noticed that the AC fan was running constantly. Replaced the old thermostat with a programmable version. Didn't really use the air much after that but it has been working the heat pump all winter with no problems. Now we are starting to use the AC again and...

View more questions Search