Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OregonGirl75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 06:29 PM
    WHERE do I acquire paperwork for relinquishment of parental rights?
    The biological father of my unborn child wants to voluntarily relinquish every parental right he has. My husband wants to adopt the baby. Where do I go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? We want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. All of this filing and counter filing, petitions for adoptions and so forth are just too confusing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2006, 06:39 PM
    You want to hire an attorney. Since it has to do with issues of child support, future visitation and more, it is very complicated and if it is not done right then it can have errors latter.
    OregonGirl75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 06:42 PM
    :confused: NOOOOOOOO! This is the very thing we're trying to avoid. Why can't it just be ONE piece of paper! When I was adopted by my step-father in 1980, it was ONE piece of paper. The biological father of my unborn child wants NO RIGHTS. We simply want to "transfer fatherhood", so to speak, to my husband. You don't know of any way that I can just get a piece of notebook paper notarized? Haha!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Courts keep it complicated on purpose, the one I worked for would not even accept paperwork not in the exact FONT they required

Even the legal forms sites, such as www.legalzoom.com and also www.legalforms.com don't supply any of these types of forms.

If you think you just have to, you go to the court house, review all of the filings, you will have the termination of parent rights, and application for adoption. On many things I always say you can do it yourself, on this, since adoption is so important, and has such long term legal issues with giving up custody it is something that does not need to be able to be challenged down the road.

I am incorrect Legalforms.com does carry the forms, they are not listed on their main page, you have to do a specific search.

These are just some of the forms that you will need:Consent of Parent to Adoption and Waiver of Notice of Hearing (signed by father); Consent of Parent to Adoption and Waiver of Notice of Hearing (signed by mother); and Waiver of Right to be Represented by Counsel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the...

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of help regarding terminating parental rights. I have just been granted a temp protective order (texas) and have court for my final that will last two years. I have been abused for over 10 years by my husband. We have only been married 4. My daughter is 5 going on 6. She goes to...

View more questions Search