Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2009, 06:50 AM
    S Trap or Not?
    Hey guys!
    Over on another site I have home inspectors telling me that this isn't a "S" trap vented by a AAV. Your comments? Regards, Tom
    Re: Would You Call This An 'S' Trap?
    I can't believe I'm reading a zillion posts telling me that this,(see image) isn't a "S" trap. Of course it is. Take away the AAV and whadda you got?
    That's right sports fans! If it walks like a "S" trap wearing a funny looking hat's called a AAV and talks like a "S" trap, then dang it! That sucker must be a "S" trap.
    On an other note, I read where some inspectors areafraid to grab a toilet bowl and check it for a ,loose or a b owl that rocks.
    Repair plumbers would get a chuckle out of that. Regards to all, Tom aka Speedball1
    M. Slusar
    Member Join Date: Jun 2007

Re: Would You Call This An 'S' Trap?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Barker
    If it walks like a "S" trap wearing a funny looking hat's called a AAV and talks like a "S" trap, then dang it! That sucker must be a "S" trap.
    OK - I really hope that this was an attempt at humor...
    Otherwise...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 07:48 AM

Is that verticle pipe going up to the roof or vent stack? Where is the AAV they are talking about?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Bob, The AAV's installed on the eighth bend you're questioning.
    This is the original post,
    Bruce Breedlove
    Member Join Date: Mar 2007

Would You Call This An 'S' Trap?
    The building is on a crawlspace. The sink and associated plumbing were installed by a non-professional. The waste pipe is not located in the wall but instead is located in the vanity. The waste piping does not have a vent pipe and is instead vented by an air admittance device.

With the shorter distance from the sink tailpiece to the waste pipe would you call this an 'S' trap?
    I have a entire site of home inspectors thinking I'm nuts, Cheers Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 12:13 PM

This upper pipe appears to be 45 bend going into the wall an up(?). I don't know how they figured AAV ? If there was AAV then there would have to be 1 1/2" Female Adaptor to accept AAV.

In may area, the Orange Mark Dimension ("dirt arm") in photo #2 has to be 6" long otherwise it is called S-trap.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Milo, As I read it the AAV was installed on a 45 degree angle. To read the entire debate click on; Would You Call This An 'S' Trap? - InspectionNews - Home Inspection
    Be prepared to sift through a bunch of garbage. These inspectors are pretty long winded. Feel free to post on their site.
    In may area, the Orange Mark Dimension ("dirt arm") in photo #2 has to be 6" long otherwise it is called S-trap.
    And if the "dirt arm" was 5' long and then went into a 90 headed down with no vent what would you call it then?
    Thanks for jumping in. Tom
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Nov 18, 2009, 07:11 AM

This looks proper to me -- In fact it is a common installation during DWV repipes when dealing with situations where cutting open drywall isn't an option.

I'm not altogether clear why they offset the AAV with the 45's, but it would still be acceptable in most parts of the country so long as the AAV is at least 6" above the crown of the trap.

BTW, offsetting a vent with 2 45's below the flood rim of a fixture has been a bone of contention between Plumbers and Inspectors for decades -- Some Inspectors refuse to admit that the offset is still vertical -- While to anyone with a brain in their head (Plumbers and Inspectors who were actually Plumbers at one time) the answer is obvious.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Steve, The question was, is this a "S": trap with a AAV for a vent or not? And if you say it isn't then put another name to it. Regards, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Hi all...

If AAVS are legal, then except for vent being closer than 2x pipe diameter to the crown weir of the trap, this is clearly a PTRAP with a vent..?

I know that in Massachusetts it is illegal for the following reasons:

1) The compression or TRAP adapter is not allowed on the horizontal like it is in the picture above. In my area, we need to have a cemented joint here and can only have a moveable joint in the trap... such as a union ptrap. That means no more tubular traps here.

2) The AAV isn't allowed here without special permission.

3) The vent is closer than 2X the diameter of the pipe from the crown weir.

In my area, this would not be an strap... would just be completely illegal... ;)

My two cents!

MARK

Nov 18, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Steve, The question was, is this a "S": trap with a AAV for a vent or not? And if you say it isn't then put another name to it. Regards, Tom
    No, I wouldn't call it an S-Trap.

I'd call it a standard installation of a P-trap with an AAV.

Nov 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all...

If AAVS are legal, then except for vent being closer than 2x pipe diameter to the crown weir of the trap, this is clearly a PTRAP with a vent..???

I know that in Massachusetts it is illegal for the following reasons:

1) The compression or TRAP adapter is not allowed on the horizontal like it is in the picture above. In my area, we need to have a cemented joint here and can only have a moveable joint in the trap...such as a union ptrap. That means no more tubular traps here.

2) The AAV isn't allowed here without special permission.

3) The vent is closer than 2X the diameter of the pipe from the crown weir.

In my area, this would not be an strap...would just be completely illegal...;)

My two cents!!

MARK
    No tubular traps at all?

You're kidding, right?

What do you do when you're dealing with a high end wall hung sink that cost the homeowner in excess of $3000.00?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
    I knew that would get you excited Steve... ;) YUP! No tubular traps here anymore... not sure how long now, but for awhile. Mind you, they sell them at every home depot and it's causing issues for people that go and buy the fancy bottle traps (quite expensive) or the tubular traps and then find out they need to have it inspected and the inspector makes them rip it out (or the plumber, cause the homeowner can't pull permits here).

Here, we install those PVC x chrome traps... see image. If you are a licensed plumber and installing finish that requires chrome.. this is only legal answer. Otherwise, for normal vanity base sinks we are required to use the schedule 40 PVC and PTRAP... union in trap OK.

MARK
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Gee guys! I always thought that"P" traps went into the wall while "S" traps went into the floor. Remove the AAV and whadda you got? Just asking, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Hmmm... never looked at it that way, Tom.

If it goes into a sanitary tee fitting and there is any vent above it... it is a PTRAP to me.

Nov 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
    I knew that would get you excited Steve...;) YUP!! No tubular traps here anymore...not sure how long now, but for awhile. Mind you, they sell them at every home depot and it's causing issues for people that go and buy the fancy bottle traps (quite expensive) or the tubular traps and then find out they need to have it inspected and the inspector makes them rip it out (or the plumber, cause the homeowner can't pull permits here).

Here, we install those PVC x chrome traps...see image. If you are a licensed plumber and installing finish that requires chrome..this is only legal answer. Otherwise, for normal vanity base sinks we are required to use the schedule 40 PVC and PTRAP...union in trap OK.

MARK
    Oy vey -- And here I am dreading having to tell a homeowner that I am going to have to install two ugly counter mounted air gaps on her island and her peninsula in order to get the job signed off.

Any idea why they banned 'em?

Also -- Somebody needs to tell the Silva Brothers about this, they've been installing tubular traps for at least the last two seasons of 'This old House'.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2009, 08:11 AM
    If it goes into a sanitary tee fitting and there is any vent above it... it is a PTRAP to me.
    And it it goes into a sanitary tee and then to the floor it's a "S" trap vented with a AAV to me. As I've asked, Remove the AAV and whadda you got? Cheers Tom

Nov 18, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Gee guys! I always thought that"P" traps went into the wall while "S" traps went into the floor. Remove the AAV and whadda ya got?? Just askin, Tom
    If the Sanitary-Tee were replaced with a 90 and the AAV eliminated, then it would definitely be an S-Trap.

I think you might be a little too hung up on this being outside the wall, Tom.

Imagine it plumbed the same way but scooted back a few inches inside the wall with the AAV either 90'd out of the wall or installed inside of a wall box.

Also -- The true definition of a S-Trap would be a trap that returns vertically without a vent or the vent installed horizontally below the crown or weir of the trap.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Remove the vent and is definitely an STRAP.

Actually Steve, not sure when they banned them, but for at least 6 years that I know of 'cause an inspector busted me using one and explained that they had found that the neoprene style washers were drying out on the top and have been shown to leak... so they banned installation of them.

I'll try to find the specific code for you... just got the most updated code book yesterday!

And it is the Tretheway brothers (Rich and Bob) on this old house... and yeah, I think they can do anything they want in Boston area... on every board that makes every code in the state!

MARK

Nov 18, 2009, 08:46 AM
    And it is the Tretheway brothers (Rich and Bob) on this old house....and yeah, I think they can do anything they want in Boston area...on every board that makes every code in the state!!

MARK
    That's right.

So between court appearances and code writing symposiums, when do these guys find the time to actually Plumb?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:52 AM
    They haven't plumbed in decades... ;) But I'll tell you... I think they may even know more about codes than you do... :)

Good day all...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace drum trap with p trap [ 6 Answers ]

How do I replace with pvc wher do I put p trap and how do I connect it up

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Changing out PVC P-trap to decorative P-trap [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the process of changing out a vanity in our guest bathroom and I have a few questions. We removed the old vanity and had to cut the old p-trap off with a hack saw. We are replacing with an open vanity so now the pipes will be exposed. I want to tile half way up the wall,...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search