Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rychebeast Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Hidden Signs
    Is There Any Information Or Documentation That Points To Depression, If Someone Does Not Put Much Importance On Their Own Health Well Being?

In Other Words:
    Do People Who Are Depressed, Put Themselves "last" In Every Situation...
    Example:
    " I Don't Need A Doctor For (whatever Reason) , I'll Be Just Fine"
    " I Don't Need To Eat Before My Kids Do "
    " The Money I Spend Going To The Doctor Can Be Used For Gas Instead, Or Groceries, Or The Movies, Etc., Etc., Etc.."

Thank You

Ps
    Please Help... very Confused & Lost:(
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Nov 8, 2006, 04:41 PM
    To be quite honest, I would have to have more information as to the families income.
    It is normal to put your kids first. YOU should, as they are unable to take care of themselves. Religious views, and fiancial income as well as clture could affect ones willingness to go to a doctor.
    If the person does not have helath insurance then a doctor vist can be extremely expenseive and which case makes sense for one to say that money can go to gas or food.

Rather some good fashioned signs of depression can be an abrupt change in weight, if some one drastically looses or gains weight.

A huge change in sleep patterns, suddenly someone who normaly only sleeps 6 hours is now sleeping 12 hours aday.

Or someone who normaly sleeps 10 hours a day is now only sleeping 2 hours a day.

Most parents I have known will only eat when or after there kids eat, especially if they are on atight budget.

Some people just dfont like doctors. They have had bad experisnces and had crappy doctors and feel like it was a waste of money for them to go in the first place.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
    I would not say things like that count as signs of depression. With the information you have provided it just sounds like this person is just very selfless and always puts others before herself - there is nothing wrong with that,

I have suffered from depression myself and whilst there are many different types of depression and many different signs (everyone is effected differently) - the most common signs are 1)Iratic Mood Swings 2)Insomnia 3)No desire to go out or do anything 4)lack of confidence 5)Denile.

If you provide me with more information & and detail - I will be able to assist and help you a little better.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
    If the situation doesn't seem particularly dire or urgent at the moment, having a person take a fairly standardized test such as this, can be helpful in determining whether perhaps seeking therapeutic help could be beneficial:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00103_D

Though, if you or someone question the possibility of therapy, it may be a good idea anyhow, if only just to rule such out. Depression isn't always easy to diagnose, and people can hide it well. Talking is always beneficial, and in no way implies that something is wrong, or that one is in any way at all "different."
    And no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being selfless. We'd all be better off if more people were this way.
    Good luck. Take care. :)
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
    I would be more worried about someone who avoided the doctor because they didn't think they deserved to be cared for or had a very extreme fear of doctors. The statements themselves don't shout "depression".

But you must consider, too, that your family will be better off if you are keeping yourself healthy- go to the doctor! It isn't selfish to take care of yourself, it is good policy.

You know how when you are on an airplane you are supposed to put your oxygen mask on before you help your child(if there is a loss of cabin pressure)? That is because you may not be able to do it if you are weak from not having enough air. If you pass out before you get your kid's mask on you are both in trouble. Same principle.

You are a good parent- don't worry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy signs? [ 1 Answers ]

Well I have and still have milky substance coming out of my breast for the past week and a half, I now have "cramps" and seem to be getting my period it is brownish color and I saw a few drops when I went to the bathroom, I thought I might have been pregnant , but now I don't know

Hidden Icons & Taskbar [ 6 Answers ]

My students have hidden the taskar and all windows icons. Even when pressing the windows key I cannot see the taskbar. Please help

Hidden programs in xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Can any one tell me all the hidden programs in xp and how ro use these programs plzzzzz

Hidden electric showers [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told there is a special electric shower that can be hidden from sight with only the controls and thermostat showing but I don't know where to buy it and what it is called

View more questions Search