Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Kitten 4 mo old just bought-declawing when?
    We just purchased a cat from a shelter and a lot of people reccomened having it declawed, my question is how long should we wait before we do this, lasar method verses conventional, peoples opinion who have had this done to there own cats. Thanks for any input.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
    The real question is WHY are you considering this procedure?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 11:07 AM
    We had those little claw covers put on our kitten, works great: Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 11:11 AM

Usually most people do it at the same time when the cat gets spayed or neutered around 6 months old. But declawing is an unnecessary surgery. When a cat is declawed they cut the tips of your cats fingers off. I hope you reconsider the declawing but definitely get the cat cat spayed or neutered.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Usually most people do it at the same time when the cat gets spayed or neutered around 6 months old. But declawing is an unnecessary surgery. When a cat is declawed they cut the tips of your cats fingers off. I hope you reconsider the declawing but definitely get the cat cat spayed or neutered.
    The cat is already spayed, I have read the articles about declawing and I agree with you all,but my wife has talked to friends at work and church and they all recommend for the sake of furniture to have it done,read about laser procedure less evasive if that's the right word?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
    It is very easy to train a cat not to claw furniture etc.
    Get them a scratching post, this way they can have fun while working out their scratching habits.
    Also it causes NO pain to the animal whatsoever,
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 06:19 PM

A friend of mines father built this massive cat play area with scratching posts.

It looked just like the store bought ones but cost him 1/4 of the cash to build it.
    It was just an MDF (wood) frame and then carpet and rope glued down over the whole thing.

Great weekend project and it can be as elaborate or simple as you like

morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 11:33 PM

OMG, that's huge. I'd love to build one of these things since they're so expensive, but not sure I'll ever find the time or manage to pull it off. I want something cool, with lots of hiding places and holes to jump through, etc.
    0214Yumi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 05:58 AM

Seriously declawed the cat in my opinion not a good option because the next thing a cat got to rely on for defense is its teeth and believe me cat's teeth especially kittens are curious about using your fingers as play toys use play toys instead, scrating posts or something caps for claws can work but I suggest trimming the nail with a cat nail trimmer and only a little of a trim or it'll bleed
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 06:12 AM

Please don't listen to what other people tell you. Everyone always has an opinion about something you are doing. When I had my kids, a concerned woman would stop me in the grocery store and tell me "your baby looks cold." Three aisles later, another woman would tell me "your baby looks hot." I could have spent my entire time as a mother trying to please other people.

Most shelters around here ask cat adopters to sign a form NOT to declaw the cat. Like someone else said, declawing is cruel, it forces the cat to use his teeth in defense, AND a cat can be trained to use a scratching post and not mess up furniture (and yes, it will take a little work on your part, just like training a human baby not to chew on wires or eat fuzz balls he finds in corners).

Whether its surgical declawing or laser declawing -- would you want the first joint of all your fingers removed? Plan on having that done to yourself if you declaw the cat, so you two can enjoy life together afterwards. (Yes, you may have noticed I am totally against declawing!)
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 09:05 PM

Does that mean don't listen to what other people tell him cause everyone has an opinion, unless of course it is your opinion?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Does that mean don't listen to what other people tell him cause everyone has an opinion, unless of course it is your opinion?
    I know. I thought of that after I typed it, but left it there to see if you would show up and make a comment. :)

I always have worthwhile opinions! :D
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 09:27 PM

You did not leave it there just to see if I'd comment. See, now you're lying as well. :p
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 09:35 PM

Declawing is a cruel unnecessary procedure. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Here are some things to consider;

Declawing is literally maiming a cat, a mistake that can lead to physical, emotional and behavioral complications. It is erroneous to think that declawing a cat is a trivial procedure similar to trimming fingernails. A cat's claws are a vital part of its anatomy, essential to balance, mobility and survival.

Declawing is an irreversible surgical procedure that involves amputating the last joint of the cat's "toes." It is a very painful procedure with strong potential to secondary complications. (Imagine having the last joint of your own fingers amputated. Not a pleasant idea.)

On rare occasions declawing may lead to secondary contracture of the tendons. This makes it uccomfortable for the cat to walk. Since the last joints of their front paws are missing, they compensate by placing more of their weight to the hind quarters, causing them to be out of balance. This shift of weight to the hind quarters may lead to atrophy of the muscles of their front quarters.

Being out of balance is extremely distressing to a cat, whose very life is about balance. You've observed cats climbing trees, teetering perilously on a single branch, leaping incredible heights to land on a pre-selected spot, or threading in and out of complex arrangements of knickknacks without disturbing a single ornament. (Unless, of course, they choose to do so.) These are acts of balance and part of a cat's basic heritage.

In addition to being an intrinsic part of a cat's normal conformation, its front claws are a cat's primary defense. Once declawed, there is no replacement or regrowth of the claws. You may think, "My cat never goes outside." But what if your cat accidentally gets outside and you can't find her? She is now defenseless in a potentially hostile environment.

Deprived of its front claws a cat may become insecure and distressed. I can assure you that if Kitty becomes emotionally distressed, you will too. Kitty's display of distress tends to take such forms as urinating on your favorite rug or spraying your antique armoir. Feeling defenseless without her claws, Kitty may become hostile to people (including you), and to other cats and become more apt to bite.

Some cats develop an aversion to their litter box because of the pain associated with scratching in the litter after a declawing procedure. If Kitty doesn't go in the box, she will find a more comfortable place to do her business. Often times, these habits are hard to break.

One more compelling reason not to declaw. Some European countries have ruled declawing illegal! It is considered inhumane.

Found here; Cat Scratching Solutions

If you'd really like to understand what the procedure is, I can post a link that will show you step by step what is done to a cat when it's being declawed. It's gruesome and inhumane. Again, that's not opinion, that's a fact!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Declawing kitten [ 42 Answers ]

How old does she have to be until she can be declawed? She's 2 and 1/2 months old now

My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work. I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my...

I bought a bike and the person I bought from sold it [ 6 Answers ]

I bought 2 dirt bikes the were listed on carig list in ny so I want and saw the bike and agreed that I will give him the full asking price for both which was $650 total of $1300. I paid in cash I get a resit and a bill of sale for both. I told him I was going to get the bikes in couple of weeks...

Declawing ? What age [ 17 Answers ]

Hi we h just got a new kitten and I was wandering how old a cat has to be to get declawed

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search