Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Claire58 Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Do you think that race shapes a person's character or actions?
    Why or why not?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Hi, Claire58!

Why are you asking the question, please? It would be helpful to know about that.

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire58 View Post
    why or why not?
    Hello Claire:

No, because race is a superficial trait. It would be like asking does blond hair shape a persons character.

Do YOU know what I say to be true, or do you think otherwise? If so, why?

excon
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Claire:

No, because race is a superficial trait. It would be like asking does blond hair shape a persons character.

Do YOU know what I say to be true, or do you think otherwise? If so, why?

excon
    Try saying that and growing up in the projects.

Of course it has an effect .
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    try saying that and growing up in the projects.

of course it has an effect .
    "The projects" is not a race. It is a place.

Surroundings, and environment, shape character more than the color of your skin.

You can take an African American child from the projects, and take him to Switzerland for instance, and that child would be influenced by that particular culture due to the environment he was raised in.

The color of his skin would not "shape" him .
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    try saying that and growing up in the projects.

of course it has an effect .
    Hello z:

You presume that the predominance of black people in the projects is due to race, whereas I presume it's due to racist politics.

excon
    -

Nov 22, 2009, 08:20 AM

And because of the "projects" you can take a upper income black child and he will still be shaped by his skin color in america anyway.
    When he goes to buy a car,apply for a college,a job.
    And those hardships have to effect a persons character,and actions
    Unless JJ he grows up in a bubble and he still will be exposed to it at sometime.
    You would have to say racism doesn't exist to think otherwise
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 08:34 AM

Hello again, z:

If you're saying that racism has an effect on its victims, and they REACT to it, I don't disagree at all...

RACISM effects ones character - not race.

excon
    -

Nov 22, 2009, 08:39 AM

excon,
    I said it,

Just not as good as you just did.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:33 PM

Of course race has an impact on character and actions as it impacts how we are treated and how we experience the world. It also relates closely to ethnicity and family history, which can have a huge role in determining our religious and cultural views. It is a fact in our nation that some races fare better than others economically and certainly some races are disproportionately represented in colleges, prisons and other institutions - for better or worse, it does play a significant role and is the reason we had affirmative action in this country.

But being impacted and influenced is not the same as being compelled. Free choice is available to all of us to choose what to embrace or deny in our lives, whether it relates to our culture, religion, race, family history or other demographics. It's just harder to choose something different than that with which we were raised.
    Know.It.All Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
    First of all, race shapes family life and parenting practices in families.

Second of all, race is an aspect of socialization which is the lifelong process through which individuals acquire a self-identity and enables society to reproduce itself by passing on its culture form one generation to the next. In fact below is a definition of Racial Socilaztion taken from Sociology in Our Times (textbook for colleges and universities).

Racial Socialization is the aspect of socialization that contains specific messages and practices concerning the nature of one's racial or ethnic status as it relates to our identity, interpersonal relationships, and location in the social hierarchy. It includes direct statements regarding race, modeling behaviour (wherein a child imitates the behaviour of a parent or other caregiver), and indirect activities such as exposure to an environment that conveys a specific message about a racial or ethnic group.

Hope this answers your question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Database is all shapes instaed of letters [ 4 Answers ]

Hi realley need help I was putting database back on my p.c from a floppy disc and instead of using Microsoft access I used wordpad now when I open it it comes up with lots of squares and symbols please can anyone help me

Areas and volumes of similar shapes [ 5 Answers ]

A model statue is 10cm high and has a volume of 100cm cubed. The real statue is 2.4 m high. What is the volume of the real statue? Give your answer in m cubed. Can you please explain how the answer is 1.38m cubed?:confused:

I draw shapes that have no meaning to me [ 7 Answers ]

For a year I feel that I am connected with my spirit guide, I get instructions to draw shapes like squares, crosses, circles and lines which I can't understand. I need help understanding these shapes I know I must show it to someone but I don't know to whom. Can you help me please?

Cross and dot diagrams, shapes bond angles [ 1 Answers ]

Please help I have to draw the cross and dot diagrams for (a) H2O, (b) H3O+, (c) H4O2+ and H2O2, I also have to name their shapes ans bond angles and explain any differences between bond angles on a,b and c, I am totally stumped

Need tool to cut mirror into little shapes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need a tool that can cut a mirror into little 1 inch heart shapes. The mirror will be between 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch thick. Thank you! Sincerely, Denyse

View more questions Search