Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gernb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 01:29 PM
    Bullet speed ?
    Help me settle a bet.

If a man shoots a bullet out of a gun straight up in the air, upon the bullets descent when it returns down and is at the same height as it was initially fired what will its speed be?

a) the same speed it left the gun

Or

b) terminal velocity
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2004, 07:44 PM
    Re: Bullet speed ?
    Any falling object will eventually reach a velocity where its air resistance equals the acceleration of gravity. At that time, it will continue to fall at that velocity, its terminal velocity. A bullet shot up into the air will fall back at less than its original velocity because of air friction. It might or might not reach its terminal velocity before returning to the ground.
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2004, 03:10 PM
    Re: Bullet speed ?
    In the absence of wind resistance it will be the same speed at which it left the gun and with wind resistance it will be the terminal velocity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

MRI good with bullet in head? [ 8 Answers ]

Can the head of a person who has a bullet in his head be scanned with MRI (magnetic resonance imaging,) or would the metal cause complications?

MS Word 2003: Bullet Shortcut [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Normally to create bullets I just type an asterik at the start of my paragraph. When I go down to the next line, word replaces this asterik with a bullet for me and indents the paragraph accordingly. Trouble is that I seem to have hit a key combination that has turned this shortcut...

View more questions Search