Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 06:09 AM
    What IS the primary job of government?
    Hello:

It appears that there's some disagreement on what governments' first priority is. Republicans, and I guess some Democrats, think the first job of government is to keep the people safe. I, on the other hand, think the first job of government is to obey the Constitution.

Whatever position you take, please cite the law or the passage in our founding documents that supports your conclusion...

Here's mine. In the oath of office each government employee recites, it says that they will "preserve, protect and defend (not the people or the country, but) the Constitution of the United States".

I think if we figure out WHAT our job is, it might make it easier to do it, doncha think?

excon
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:47 AM

Sadly EC probably 90% of those people, if they can actually read have never read or understand the Constitution. So it is kind of a moot point don't you think?
    Until people can actually read and understand what the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights for that matter say how can we expect our elected officials to uphold the guidelines,laws,rules, what ever you want to call them?
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Sadly EC probably 90% of those people, if they can actually read have never read or understand the Constitution.
    Hello 450:

What you say is probably true. So, consider this post my effort to educate the American populace. Somebody's got to do it.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:48 PM

Politicians do not, repeat, do not, read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. They haven't the faintest clue what their job is other than to put their grubby hands into our wallets and take all those little funny pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on and cram them into their pocketc.

Our job as the people, is to print MORE of these funny pieces of paper (whether fake or real) for these politicians to support their extravagant life styles and make laws they have no intentions of keeping themselves as they are above the laws that they make.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

It appears that there's some disagreement on what governments' first priority is. Republicans, and I guess some Democrats, think the first job of government is to keep the people safe. I, on the other hand, think the first job of government is to obey the Constitution.

Whatever position you take, please cite the law or the passage in our founding documents that supports your conclusion...

Here's mine. In the oath of office each government employee recites, it says that they will "preserve, protect and defend (not the people or the country, but) the Constitution of the United States".

I think if we figure out WHAT our job is, it might make it easier to do it, doncha think?

excon
    Always thought it was a percular construct that you guys swore to defend the constitution. I think that constitution presumes the people will defend themselves which is after all a seventeenth century idea wound around wilderness, savages and far away powers The job of government is to preserve order in the many forms it is required
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Always thought it was a percular construct that you guys swore to defend the constitution. I think that constitution presumes the people will defend themselves which is afterall a seventeenth century idea wound around wilderness, savages and far away powers The job of government is to preserve order in the many forms it is required
    You find it odd to protect the rules of the game? What's left if you don't, anarchy?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 16, 2009, 08:16 AM

Excon, we've been over this before. It's all stated very clearly in the Constitution.

The government has 3 jobs, and ONLY 3 jobs. All three are equally imortant. These are:

1) To protect the nation from enemies, both foreign and domestic.

2) To create and maintain an infrastructure that includes roads, highways, tunnels, bridges, and a mail system.

3) To create and maintain an economic environment that is favorable to the production and distribution of goods and services and the creation and transfer of wealth.

Government has no other purpose, no other job and no other authority.

Protecting the country is neither more important nor less important than the other two jobs of government.

You, however, want the government to IGNORE these responsibilities the limitations on the power of government that are in the Constitution. You want them not to maintain a favorable economic environement, but rather to control the economy. You want them not to protect the country but rather to grant rights to foreign terrorists and make the country weaker by doing so. You want them not to build and maintain roads, but rather to use road maintenance as an excuse to spend Trillions of our money in wealth redistribution schemes. All of these are violations of the Constitution that you support.

So please, save your talk about protecting the Constitution for those who don't know you so well... because there's NOTHING in your political thinking that corresponds to protection of the Constitution.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
    In the midst of all these challenges, however, my single most important responsibility as President is to keep the American people safe.

[President Obama's National Security Speech May 2009.]

This is one of the few parts of his tripe I agree with .
    Nothing is more important for the President in his role as CIC than National Security. I do not say that for the entire government... only for the President . But it ranks high for the rest of the government also.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    we've been over this before. It's all stated very clearly in the Constitution.

The government has 3 jobs, and ONLY 3 jobs. All three are equally imortant. These are:

1) To protect the nation from enemies, both foreign and domestic.

2) To create and maintain an infrastructure that includes roads, highways, tunnels, bridges, and a mail system.

3) To create and maintain an economic environment that is favorable to the production and distribution of goods and services and the creation and transfer of wealth.

Government has no other purpose, no other job and no other authority.
    Hello Elliot:

Yes, we have - and you've been wrong every time...

I'll cop to number #2 above, but only insofar as the government can construct and maintain postal roads... The rest you made up.

Number's #1 and #3 are figments of your right wing mind. They just aren't in the Constitution. Unless, of course, you can show me... But, I read it. It isn't very long, and they use short words. I actually know it pretty good. You - not so much.

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 16, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Elliot:

Yes, we have - and you've been wrong every time....

I'll cop to number #2 above, but only insofar as the government can construct and maintain postal roads... The rest you made up.

Number's #1 and #3 are figments of your right wing mind. They just aren't in the Constitution. Unless, of course, you can show me... But, I read it. It isn't very long, and they use short words. I actually know it pretty good. You - not so much.

excon
    There you go again... supporting a reading of the Constitution that violates the Constitution.

Please save your "protecting the constitution" rhetoric for someone who's buying what you're selling.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 09:44 AM

Yep, they should be obeying the constitution, but we probably didn't have Lobbyists back then. Maybe, even corruption, wasn't even a word. Don't know.

I do agree with the infrastructure, promoting a business climate and security.

In fact, it's almost likened to a "building" with respect to security and infrastructure.

But, laws in my opinion are necessary to make people play nice, otherwise greed gets in the way.

What I don't like is terms like "You will loose federal dollars if you don't do X"
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I do agree with the infrastructure, promoting a business climate and security.
    Hello again, K:

I know you agree with it.. Just show me where it says it.

excon
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 10:06 AM

Tough one. Don't think I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need JoB. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 15 I am looking for a job and I live in Oklahoma and I would like to know if there are any jobs that will take me and I live around macalster area

Which job do I go for [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys Sorry if this is the wrong subject but Does anyone know any good websites that help you find the job that is for you, I need to look for a job and I'm not sure what I want to do I am open to suggestions

What to do about an employee with rumors of drinking at the job [ 2 Answers ]

My company has 6 experienced construction supervisors. John is one of them and he is 55 with very good working record and attendance. His job performance is pretty good. Rumors are spread in the company that he is alcoholic and he drinks at the job. Many office and storeroom employee has said that...

What do I do to file w/ no income except one 'contract job'? [ 2 Answers ]

Here's the deal - I need to file my taxes because I am done with being this broke and am going back to school (health prof). I'm just lost how to file taxes for this situation: I spent 6 months or more helping my mom get her company started and she didn't pay me but fed me, that kind of thing....

How has the government government legislate morality? [ 4 Answers ]

How has the government government legislate morality?

View more questions Search