Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HatakeChiyo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
    How can I gain custody of my sister?
    Right now I'm trying to get a restraining order on my mother. We were living with my aunt and my mothers unstable attitude has rocked the house in disarray she has hit my aunt and cousin right now my aunt has a bruise on her eye. She has threatened me that she'll drag me out of the house to live with her. She has a violent temper and has tried to attack my sister she receives gov't help but she doesn't have a stable work or a place to live and I fear shell take my sister to one of her many boyfriends house one of the last houses I stayed at with my sister the guy had done drugs. I don't want my sister to go through the same things I went through growing up but I have no rights to her. She's only eleven and I just turned 18. I need to know what I can do?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 8, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HatakeChiyo
    right now im trying to get a restraining order on my mother. we were living with my aunt and my mothers unstable attitude has rocked the house in dissarray she has hit my aunt and cousin right now my aunt has a bruise on her eye. she has threatened me that she'll drag me out of the house to live with her. she has a violent temper and has tried to attack my sister she recieves gov't help but she doesnt have a stable work or a place to live and i fear shell take my sister to one of her many boyfriends house one of the last houses i stayed at with my sister the guy had done drugs. i dont want my sister to go throught the same things i went throught growing up but i have no rights to her. She's only eleven and i just turned 18. i need to know what i can do?
    You are to be commended for wanting to protect your 11 yr old sister ! But I would take another route than trying to get custody of your sister, reason is that most courts think long and hard when taking a child from their parents custody, then there is the issue of your age, for example, in some states you are not the legal age of majority (an adult) until you turn 19 and you said you just turned 18. I suggest going to local attorney bar association, ask if you can get some legal advice free with your situation or let them see if there are any other sources of help for you and your sister. For example, you might try religious organizations like Catholic Social Services, I don't believe you have to be Catholic. If you are familiar with a church, ask them for guidance. PLease let me know how you come out, and if anyone else is reading this, do you have any suggestions ?
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HatakeChiyo
    right now im trying to get a restraining order on my mother. we were living with my aunt and my mothers unstable attitude has rocked the house in dissarray she has hit my aunt and cousin right now my aunt has a bruise on her eye. she has threatened me that she'll drag me out of the house to live with her. she has a violent temper and has tried to attack my sister she recieves gov't help but she doesnt have a stable work or a place to live and i fear shell take my sister to one of her many boyfriends house one of the last houses i stayed at with my sister the guy had done drugs. i dont want my sister to go throught the same things i went throught growing up but i have no rights to her. She's only eleven and i just turned 18. i need to know what i can do?
    First of takes pictures and document everything. Because you need proof. Otherwise it's just your word again hers. Next time she is abusive, call CPS or the law. This will help you get more proof. She needs to be arrested for domestic abuse. You really need an lawyer to get help you desparately need. (if you don't have money-try legal aid, usually a waiting list)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 09:42 PM
    The answer to your question depends on where you live(state/providence/etc.).
    If you could provide this information, you'll have a better chance at receiving the correct information on how to follow through with your situation.
    You can call your local law officials and receive this information right away as well.
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want Custody of my 14 yr old sister [ 9 Answers ]

I am here to see if anyone would happen to know what I have to do to get guardianship/custody of my 14 yr old sister... im 25 and married with no kids... mom is unfit at this time to handle a 14 yr old and she can barley handle herself... dad works nights and you can't leave a 14yr old home all...

My sister needs help [ 8 Answers ]

I have a sister she is 15 years old and has a really bad eating disorder. She is throwing up her food. I don't know what to do. I haven't went to my parents because I don't want to tell on her. What do you think I should do?

Sister Sister [ 3 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined I have this problem with my older sister.She's 16 and I'm 11 going on 12.I'm her step-sister(we have different moms)and this is her first time visiting here in 4 years so she doesn't know anybody.Lately we've been arguing about different stuff cause that's what...

Sister murdered [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 2.5 yrs ago my sister was brutally murdered.the killer is still in county jail in so ca awiting trial. Does the system work ? Its been so frustrating & my family is torn apart. Here's a webpage I made about my sister with the local newspaper articles. ...

Sister [ 5 Answers ]

:-[Hi, Could someone tell me what they think about this dream? OK here go's, I was trying to get a hold of my sister by phone but she did not leave me a phone number and she moved, I then tried looking for her in my car, all of a sudden, there was a small child in the car, she wanted to learn...

View more questions Search