Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2009, 09:03 PM
    City eminent domaining my business
    Sneezy here. As some of you know, I'm currently in ny. I bought a business here about a month ago, and so far, it's doing all right. I just found out that last week, the city council had a vote on whether they would pretty much tear down multiple business buildings for a waterfront redevelopment. I don't own the land, I just own the business. There are talks about eminent domaining the landlord, thus us.

Now, I've been here a month, and if I get eminent domained... what am I entitled to? There's nothing in the lease about this specifically... and I'm assuming that the city'll start talks about this within a month or two. I know getting the rest of my lease is out of the question, but would I be entitled to at least my equipment/fixtures?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2009, 09:23 PM

Anything you bought or own in the building will be yours to take, and very likely the landlord will let you take even some of the items in the building, since he will be merely walking away after the city buys it from him. But often these take overs can take months and months to years for the legal issues to be worked out.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 05:19 AM

Hello S:

Do you want to STOP 'em? I'd LOVE to help you do that. It IS illegal, what they're doing you know.

Now, if they wanted to build a park, or use the land to benefit the citizens in other ways, it would be legal. But, to take from one businessman and give it to another businessman is illegal..

Oh, I know it's been held to be legal by the courts, but the courts should have asked me first. Like the Padre said, you can probably tie them up in court for many years. Meanwhile you can get rich - especially if you fight 'em (and let the papers know).

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:40 AM

Do I want to stop them.. well... I'm a bit ambivalent on this issue. Obviously, since I bought a business, I'd rather have it run for a few years before I get "kicked out," but if they're willing to pay me a substantial amount to leave, I wouldn't really complain, since I bought the business for such a cheap value.

I do agree that this doesn't sound very "legal"... well, I'm not sure about legal, but "kosher"... to build a school, a park, what have you, I understand. They want to build a baseball stadium, and better shopping centers, because the current ones are "dilapidated."

It screams gentrification.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    but if they're willing to pay me a substantial amount to leave, I wouldn't really complain, since I bought the business for such a cheap value.
    Hello again, S:

Cool. But, if it doesn't work out, get back to me after you've heard their substantial offer for your dilapidated business.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 09:00 AM

I'll keep you guys updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Eminent Domain & Land Grant Property [ 1 Answers ]

Eminent Domain & Land Grant Property. Do Michigan Municipalities have the right to take Land Grant property without the property owner’s ability to fight the process or even receive compensation? >If so, does this have a time frame to file a suit after the fact. Thanks!

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

How to do business with the City in which you live [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to do the City that I live in a huge favor that will benefit the City, it's residents and me of course. The City says it never has done anything like this before and doesn't know how to either. I am offering to build on their land using my monies and operating this business and after...

Eminent Domain [ 7 Answers ]

I have been presented with the opportunity to purchase a business which is located within a portion of my county that a revitilization project will soon (in the next 10 years) be taking place. The land is owned by one individual, the business by another. If I buy this business, and the landowner...

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search