Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmymack2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Water on Moon
    If there is water on the moon, why has it not evaporated? Is it trapped due to the lack of an atmosphere?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2009, 09:00 AM

Here are what I think:

1. It could be trapped inside the rocks etc.
    2. Gravity prevents it from going far away.
    3. There was much water. The more water means that it will take longer time for everything to get evaporated, since each time water evaporates, remaining water molecules have less energy, hence the rate of evaporation decreases.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 12:46 PM

Actually the lack of atmosphere makes it harder for water to stay around, as water can not last for long in a vacuum as a liquid. It must be either solid (ice) or in gaseous form. If a gas, the molecules would relatively easily escape lunar gravity - the energy from solar particles, for example, can kick the water molecule right out of lunar gravity. So over time any gaseous water vapor won't last very long. Hence the water must stay in solid form, and to do that requires that it not be exposed to sunlight - otherwise it would sublimate to a gas. So the ice must be either buried or in permament shadow - such as in a crater at the north or south pole.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 16, 2009, 02:28 PM

I actually just read an article about this from Digg! Earlier today, even, lol. Have a read: Moon Water: Will Lunar-Base Humans be Able to Drink It? (A Weekend Special)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Nov 16, 2009, 06:28 PM

It think the water is probably trapped under the rocks considering the fact that a probe had to smash through the surface to find the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New moon [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know when 'new moon' is coming out? Cause I heard it was over the summer and then I heard in the fall... I don't know... please help!! :~) thank u!

The moon [ 5 Answers ]

Is the moon a star?:) If not what is it?:( If you wish upon it how likely is it to grant that wish?;)

Did we go to the Moon? [ 9 Answers ]

I have this debate a lot. I really hope we did go to the moon but I don't know. What do you think?

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

Second on the moon? [ 8 Answers ]

Which country do you people think will put a man on the moon next? Russia China India European Space Agency Iraq

View more questions Search