Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 8, 2006, 11:11 AM
    GFCI Circuit Breaker.
    I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker in the service panel.The existing breaker is a single pole 15 amp breaker. It has only one wire to it (black). The 15 amp single pole GFCI breaker that I purchased to replace it has a white pigtail on it. I connected this to the buss bar and the existing black wire to the load lug on the new breaker. It trips as soon as I try to switch it on. Can anyone help? The directions that came with the GFCI breaker show a white wire attatched to the neutral lug on the breaker, but there was no white wire to the original breaker. Thanks. Dave.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Next to the white "pigtail" is a silver terminal, you need to find the neutral wire for the circuit you want to GFI protect, remove it from the neutral bar, and connect to this silver terminal.

Be sure to shut this circuit off, as if there is a load, you will break the neutral and now have 120 volts across that white wire and ground/neutral.

There are no white wires connected to any 1 pole breakers now because they are not GFI breakers, or Arc Fault breakers.

Not to confuse you, there may be white wires connected to a 2 pole breaker, in this case the white wire is being used as a hot, along with the black for a 240 volt circuit.

Thos this has always been allowed, code now requires that a white wire being used as a hot needs to be labeled as ahot , at both ends and anywhere the wire is exposed in a junction box.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 8, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Thank you very much tkrussel. I didn't know if I made myself clear enough, but you understood the problem and helped me fix it. I really appreciate your advice. I was confused about the neutral bar and the missing white wire from the circuit, as the instructions said to attach the pigtail to the bar.(And the white wire from this circuit was already connected to the bar) Followed black wire back to entry point and took white wire from circuit and connected it as you stated. Problem solved. Thanks again! Dave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warm GFCI Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

In our electrical panel we have 2 AFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these...

Gfci breaker popping [ 8 Answers ]

After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker). The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

Gfci breaker [ 2 Answers ]

My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search