Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dws21396 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 09:27 AM
    401(k) Hardship withdrawals
    If a person takes a hardship withdrawl from a 401(k) I suspect that even with 10% taken for taxes on withdrawl a person could be paying more in taxes if they are in a higher tax bracket. Plus, as I looked through some of the answers to another hardship withdrawl question, a person would be required to pay other state and local taxes. I would like to get some comments on this.

Thank you.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 8, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dws21396
    If a person takes a hardship withdrawl from a 401(k) I suspect that even with 10% taken for taxes on withdrawl a person could be paying more in taxes if they are in a higher tax bracket. Plus, as I looked through some of the answers to another hardship withdrawl question, a person would be required to pay other state and local taxes. I would like to get some comments on this.

Thank you.
    I think there is a surrender value, or better to call it cashing it in and then there might be a loan provision. Some plans permit loans, some don't, ck with the plan or your HR Dept on this - if you take a loan, then I believe you just pay interest on the loan, no income taxes like you would with a complete surrender. And the surrender amt would be taxable as though it were earned income, treated just like you went out and earned it, so yes, the higher the income tax bracket you are in, the higher the taxes would be. Not only will you owe the IRS just as though it were earned income but you would probably owe the state that you live in.
    cocojambo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 04:58 PM
    I'm thinking this might help:

The 10% early withdrawal penalty on 401k withdrawals can be waived if you meet 1 of any of the 5 criteria below:

I) You become totally disabled (mentally or physically)
    Source: http://www.research401krollover.com/hardship-withdrawal-401k.html

ii) Your medical debts exceed 7.5% of your Gross adjusted income
    iii) The courts have ordered you to make payments to your spouse, children or dependents due to divorce or other settlement
    iv) You are fired or permanently laid off in the year you turn 55
    v) You are fired or permanently laid off and have a payment schedule of regular distributions for the rest of your expected life. Once such a withdrawal is taken, the investor is expected to take these withdrawals regularly for the next 5 years, until he turns 59 and 1/2 years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401(k) Hardship withdrawals [ 2 Answers ]

I seem to be hearing a lot of radio commercials from folks who will show how to withdraw money from an IRA or 401(k) without a penalty as required by the IRS. How do these work?

Hardship withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, What kind of documentation is needed to prove a hardship. I am in danger of being evicted by my landlord. My credit cards are maxed, my bills and expenses for myself and my dependents is beyond my income. What steps do I need to do to get this hardship proved and how long is the...

401k early withdrawal or hardship? [ 9 Answers ]

I need $22500.00 to pay off debts. Why do I have to qualify in order to get my money when I have $54,000.00 in my 401k. I need to pay off debt not pay for funeral.. If I don't pay off my debts I am looking at losing my home in the near future as they raise my interest rate from 8% to 11 %. How can...

Boyfriend Withdrawals when stressed, how do I cope [ 8 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for almost 2 years and when he gets stressed out he withdrawals and I won't hear from him for a couple of weeks. He says he just needs to be alone but when you care about someone you want to help him. There is always going to be stress in a person life. He's not the...

View more questions Search