Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isr Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Furnace won't come on
    I have a montgomery wards 700 furnace, its natural gas and has no ehaust assist fan and it has a summer fan switch. ( the house is new to me) at first the furnace didn't start. But if you bypassed the thermostat it did. So I purchased a lux heat only model and it started , looked like it ran OK. Then it stopped working. It won't start at all even if you bypass the thermostat. The pilot light is on. I called a furnace guy who came out and told me that the gas valve was bad. 200 to replace. I found one on the internet and installed it. Still no start. But now if you bypass the thermostat you can hear a click on the valve. It seems very simple as it only has the thermostat, fan limit switch, fan motor, transformer and summer switch. The summer switch does make the fan work. There is no information on the furnace and I can't tell you the age of it either. What else could the problem be and where can I find parts for this? Thanks!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Did you carefully follow all the directions, removing any packing from inside the valve, and turn it to On from pilot?
    Homer2 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Did you turn the gas shutoff valve back on?
    Homer
    isr Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Thank you all. I changed the gas valve and still won't come on, but I found out the thermostat was bad so I bypassed it and it would come on but no fan. Suspected the fan limit switch, after talking to a friend I broke down and called a tech. 75.00 later and still with no answer he showed me the exchanger which had cracks in it. So time to forget the issue and start collecting donations for a new furnace. Again thanks.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

My Furnace won't kick on even after I've manually primed it 10 times [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why I can't seem to keep the furnace running I prime it it stays on for 2 minutes then shuts down even before the blower starts . What's up with the red light near the reset button

Furnace Blower won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with my furnace blower not staying on. I can set my thermostat for say 74 degrees and the furnace will come on normally. I can hear and see the furnace on, but it takes roughly one minute (ive timed it) before the blower comes on. I know the minute delay is pretty normal;...

View more questions Search