Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1257 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Esop stock
    The stock is in my IRA and I was thinking of selling it and paying off my house balance what type of taxes would I be paying today's coast or coast at the time I got the stock and would I pay a10 present penalty I am 53
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 08:01 AM

If you originally received the ESOP shares as a non-taxable event (which is likely), then when you withdraw it from your IRA the entire amount of the withdrawal is taxable - so to answer your question your tax is calculated using today's market value of the stock. You will also be hit with a 10% early withdrawal fee. This is not a good idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdraw from esop [ 2 Answers ]

Can I withdraw from an esop program if I'm 100% vested but I no longer work for the company?

ESOP Penalites [ 3 Answers ]

I am 59-1/2, If I withdraw some of my retirement money what penalties and taxes will I have to pay?

Tax pid in US under Employee Stock Options Scheme (ESOP) [ 2 Answers ]

I just sold few shares granted to me under ESOP scheme of US based company and I am based out of India. I understand the holding requirements and arising FBT if the holding requirements are not met. However, not sure how to claim the refund of capital gain tax withhold in US under DTAA agreement...

ESOP cash out, taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How much federal taxes will I pay on an ESOP worth $70,000 what is the percentage I would pay? Thanks for your help Cezar

View more questions Search