Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armyvet1997 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
    HOA Board Member Moves with board property
    Hello, I am currently an HOA Board President. One of the board members (secretary) moved out of the community in the dark of night and abandoned his home. He took with him important documents mainly all board minute’s in addition or board seal.

We have called, emailed and texted only to get no response. I just mailed a certified letter to the address he abandoned. My question is legally, what are our options. Can we do a memorandum to cover or messing minutes and what do you suggest be done about the seal (similar to a notary republic seal)?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 04:59 PM

You may be able to put a lien on the property depending on your covenants and restrictions and state law. For all the good it will do I know, but ti may cause the guy big problems somewhere down the line.
    Were minutes routinely distributed to all members? Maybe another member has a file. If minutes are simply not available (could happen with a fire or flood too) I would try to chronicle the major events as accurately as possible but I don't know how far back you are talking.
    If the seal is critical, I would have a new one produced of a radically different design and maybe notify those who rely on the seal that the old one is void.
    I am not a lawyer but perhaps the theft of the seal could be pursued by police. Good Luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 06:22 PM

I too am a HOA President, do you have a property manager or management firm? How about a HOA attorney of record. Old copies of minutes aren't going to stop your board from operating and the seal is not as important as you may think. What state are you in? After 24 hours file a missing persons report with the police. At your next BOD meeting announce that you will be taking names of parties interested in being appointed to the BOD until the next regular election. The old BOD can appoint or elect a current member to be your secretary until things settle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:15 PM

This may even fall under criminal theft laws, you may want to discuss this with the HOA attorney. I would think first a letter from your attorney would be the start

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Eviction when a family member moves [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, About this time last year I moved into an apartment with a family member we live in NJ. Last I knew the 2 family was owned by my aunt & uncle, that lived on the 2nd floor & I lived on the 1st floor with their daughter. I have recently found out that the house is actually in someone's...

Send resume to Board member about employment [ 3 Answers ]

I know a person that is on the Board of Trustees for a company where I have applied for employment. My question is: is it ethical to contact that Board member about my application? Will I grease the wheels or clog the wheels?

View more questions Search