Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fanfare Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 12, 2009, 08:26 AM
    LexisNexis/Westlaw Rewards Merchandise Subject to Income Tax?
    I am currently a law student, and I am wondering if the Rewards Merchandise from LexisNexis and Westlaw is subject to income tax. Students can accumulate points by doing research, attending trainings, and answering quizzes (you can keep trying on the quiz until you get the answer right and still get the full point value). Then you can trade for CDs, books, iTunes giftcards, etc. I am just a first-year law student and have not taken a tax law class, and I'm having a hard time telling whether such merchandise would count as income tax. On the one hand, it is my understanding that credit card rewards and frequent flyer miles are not taxable. On the other hand, I know that prizes from sweepstakes are. The rewards programs seem to me to be more like the former in that there is no competition and the awards are given for utilizing the services, so it seems like a loyalty program to me. However, the terms of agreement, at least of LexisNexis, make me suspicious that it might be subject to income tax, particularly since I would have to submit an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release from Liability if I accumulate $600 worth of points--the threshold for a 1099 form. So what do you think? Since I am a law student, I want to do this legally.
    fanfare Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 15, 2009, 02:58 PM

Disclaimer: Nothing I post is or should be construed to be legal advice.
    JoeShmoeJoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
    "Since I am a law student, I want to do this legally."

You suck.
    JoeShmoeJoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 03:23 PM
    If you weren't in law school, you'd want to do this illegally? Your logic sucks, hence you suck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax from foreign bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Power of Attorney over an account in Canada that belong to my dad who resides in UK. With all the recent FBAR fiasco I am trying to amend the FBAR reports before the June 2010 deadline. Before I even proceed I am trying to determine if I owe any taxes on interest just to qualify. We are...

Merchandise purchase budget and budgeted income statement [ 1 Answers ]

Question The budget committee of Henning Ltd collects the following data for its melbourne store in preparing budgeted income statements for may and June 2007. 1) sales for may are expected to be $600,000. Sales in June and July are expected to be 10% higher than the preceding month. 2) cost of...

H4 with Foreign Income (after leaving US) Subject to US Tax? [ 6 Answers ]

Basics: Me H1-B entire 2008 Spouse H4 January - August 2008, leaving US permanently (H4 terminated) since September 2008, earned income in Hong Kong September - December 2008 about $60K Question: 1. Can we married file separately to avoid the tax on my spouse's income earned in Hong Kong? 2....

Is my disability income subject to alimony? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 54 (soon to be 55) and my wife and I are divorcing after 34 years of marriage. She has told our children that she is going to "take me to the cleaners". I get 2059 from social security disability and 3300 from Prudential disability (insurance I bought and paid for with after tax dollars). ...

Foreign you.S. Source Income Subject to Witholding [ 1 Answers ]

Please can you help! I am a UK citizen. I recently received 'Form 1042-S - Foreign U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. It looks from the form as though Computershare, who hold my HP shares for me, have withheld 15% of the Gross Income from the dividends on my shares. I understand...

View more questions Search