Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Nov 12, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Why can't I stop crying?
    I just cry at the drop of a hat right now! It doesn't feel like it's anxiety-related. I seem to be taking everything people say to me very personally, and everything I see on TV pertaining to family/love causes me to fall to pieces like a huge sap.

We have been Trying to conceive for over a year, so my first hope would be pregnancy. But we have had trouble Trying to conceive, so last week my metformin dosage was increased from 500mg 1x daily to 500mg 2x daily. I've also been taking prenatal vitamins for one week now as well!

Which is the more likely cause of these extreme crying fits? Pregnancy or metformin?

(I know I should just take a HPT, but please understand that I don't have one here with me and I am alone and cannot drive to the drugstore because I just had hand surgery and cannot use my dominant hand!)

I was just sitting here watching TV and suddenly found myself bawling at an episode of ROSEANNE! (I know, right? ) So I figured I may as well hop on my blackberry and ask you guys! Thanks! =)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
    It could be any number of things. It could be pregnancy, but it could be the stress involved with Trying to conceive. This is not a side effect of the metformin though.

Nov 12, 2009, 07:03 AM

Wow okay thanks! I don't want to get all psyched up about it possibly being pregnancy, just to be let down again... but if it's not the metformin then I can't help but be a little excited to get my hands on a HPT. Man I wish I could drive!

I'm also having a feeling, not necessarily pain, but like someone is poking me from the inside of my abdomen, on the lower right side and occasionally the left. It has been constant on the right side all morning but I forgot to mention it in the original post.

I appreciate your time and opinion on my situation! =)
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 07:10 AM
    Again, hun this could be anything from peristalsis (normal movements of the intestinal tract), to tubal pregnancy, or even regular pregnancy.

When is your period due?

Continue to take the prenatal tablets even if you find out you are not pregnant. These are important as they prevent neural tube defects, such as spina bifida, that happen before you even know you are pregnant.

Heck, I'm past child bearing years and I STILL take prenatals. LOL

Nov 12, 2009, 07:37 AM

Unfortunately I don't have periods because of PCOS. That's where the met comes into play. I've been on met since September 9th, and the dose was doubled a week ago. However, my doc said women like me have been known to ovulate and get pregnant on met before they even get a period. I am trying to suppress my girlish impulses to get all giddy and excited over something that may not be.

Sometimes I do feel so depressed, wondering why so many women can have many children, and others don't even want their children, yet I sit here, a young 25 year old woman, in a wonderful, happy, financially stable marriage, desperately wanting to take that step into the next phase of my life-- and I can't get pregnant! I know I can adopt, but my body is ready and begging me to carry a child--our child! My Husband and I want so badly to share this experience!

And here come the waterworks again. I really just need a hug. =(
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 07:47 AM
    (((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))

I know it's hard honey. I really know that. Sometimes, though, the powers that Be have other plans for us. We just don't know what they are.

I'll give you an example... My MIL always wanted a big family, after she had her first child she had 17 miscarriages. Yes, 17. She decided to adopt. She adopted 3 children and the second child adopted was found to be mentally challenged 6 years after his adoption. She was not prepared for that, but she made the best of it.

Some 50 years later she has found it was the best thing that has ever happened to her.

All of life is mysterious. We don't know what we are destined for (if you believe in destiny), but there is a plan for all of us... we just have to trust in what we are given and make the best of it.

Nov 12, 2009, 08:07 AM

*sigh* thanks =) I'm trying to keep my chin up but I feel so broken. Maybe I'm more stressed than I realized.

Also not being able to use my right hand is a bummer too. Due to a stupid technicality I can't receive medical leave-of-absence pay from work so I'm wasting ALL my vacation/sick time healing from hand (palm) surgery and I can't DO anything I enjoy because I'm friggin right-handed! I can't draw, paint, write, sculpt or make jewelry! So I'm just sitting here watching TV ALONE from 5:30 AM to 5 PM while Hubby's at work, and it has RAINED all week! I'M SO BORED AND DEPRESSED! *screams into pillow*

Sorry. That was not women's-health related, and I apologize. *regains composure*

So I guess I've got a bit more anxiety than I knew-- talking has helped me see this.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:11 AM
    I'm so happy to hear that talking has helped you. And, yes, I would say that you are stressed more than you think you are. That's only going to make things worse.

Another virtual hug ((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))

I have to get a little shut eye now as I have been working all night and have to get up in a few hours to get the kids from school, then back to work I go. Just try to relax. I know it's hard.

Nov 12, 2009, 08:13 AM

Have a good rest, and thanks for listening and for the hugs. =)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:46 AM

Franneh--

Get yourself into a support group for women trying to conceive. Your OB/GYN should be able to recommend a local group.

People who have never been in the situation of wanting a baby that they can't seem to have do NOT understand what you are going through--well, unless they are trained professionals in the subject, anyway *nods to J_9*

It's horrid. It's an up and down roller coaster of hope, fear, sadness, impotence, anger, shame, excitement and disappointment. The monthly hormonal upheaval doesn't exactly help with this, either.

I understand what you're going through--I've been actively Trying to conceive for 7 years. I'm 34.

I think too often the emotional side of Trying to conceive and not being successful is ignored, and that's truly unfortunate--especially since nearly EVERYONE has a story about how when you stop thinking or stressing about it, THAT is when you'll get pregnant. Seriously? There's a pink elephant in the middle of the room, and I should ignore it? Whatever!

Counseling could certainly help you as well. Just be careful when asking about it, since insurance companies are very often MORE than happy to ignore anything related to fertility as a cash cow that they will not cover.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
    I completely agree with Synn... I speak from education, she speaks from experience.

This IS a terrible rollercoaster ride you are on. It's a nightmare to say the least. I've spent the last year or two on that rollercoaster with Synn. Every time she is late I get a phone call or a PM. We get so excited only to be let down.

To ask you not to be stressed is ridiculous. A support group is a wonderful idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop crying [ 4 Answers ]

I can't stop crying, I don't have the energy to do anything, I'm so sad, I'm depressed, I don't know how to deal with it, therapys out of the question don't ask why, I tried peoples advise on meeting new people, it drained my energy, I lost interest, I don't want to live, I barely have the energy...

I can't stop crying [ 2 Answers ]

I plugged in a computer tonight that hasn't been used in 6 years. The photos were from an era when my marriage was happy, my family of four was perfect... only I didn't know it. It is like a sword stabbing me looking at these photos yet I can't stop... I still love him. He worshipped me and I was...

Wellbutrin and how much to stop crying [ 11 Answers ]

I went off effexor and taking 2 tablets a day of Wellbutrin generic but still am crying and not eating. I will go to the Dr. but don't know what to ask him as my mind jumps around all the time. Any help would be appreciated

Will not stop crying [ 21 Answers ]

My 2 yr old is the love of my life but latley he doesn't seem the same to me. We moved out of my moms house into a beautiful apartment and he has his own room but he has been throwing huge fits over everything. I can't talk to him when he's screaming because he can't hear me and probley doesn't...

She Won't Stop Crying/Complaining! [ 8 Answers ]

AHHHHHH!! IM GOING NUTS!! I've been with a girl for 2+ years now. I proposed to her, we're engaged for about what... 1-2 weeks? I proposed when we moved in together. Anyway, everyday has been the same thing. She cries or complains about something (the house looks bad, the bathroom is too...

View more questions Search