Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windering Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Disputing an Inheritance
    Regarding disputing an inheritance, before my my mother died she changed her will excluding me from the will. I was always supposed to get 1/3 of her estate,instead she has left some money to my two children (am not sure of amount). My brother is excutor and agrees that I should have 1/3. I have not seen the will. Am I entitled to see the will and how do I go about it? Is the excutor of the will able to just give me 1/3 without going to court? Am I able to contest the will without using a lawyer?
    FJM Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 05:11 PM

get a probate lawyer asap .and explain this to him or her. Any person in the will can give you a cut of there share . But to include you in will need to be agreed by all in writing.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 10:08 PM

No the executor can not just give you what the two of you think you should get. He has to go exactly by the will. If you want to contest the will start shopping around for lawyers, get consultations and explain the entire situation to them and why you think your mother was not in her right mind when she changed the will (the main reason a will can be contested). You MIGHT be able to find on that will take the case on a contingency if they think you will win.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FJM View Post
    get a probate lawyer asap .and explain this to him or her. any person in the will can give you a cut of there share . but to include you in will need to be agreed by all in writing.

What? I don't understand what you are saying when you say, "to include you in will need to be agreed by all in writing." That is not the case. An estate MUST, by law, be distributed in accordance with the Will. If the heirs could get together, which you seem to be suggesting, and include someone who is NOT in the Will there would be no purpose in writing a Will in the first place.

Also - a probate Attorney is used for probate. Only the executor (or someone appointed in his/her place) can place a Will into probate.

In this case any or all of the heirs can give a portion of their share to a person who was not included in the Will - that's up to them and it's outside probate as well as outside the Will.

The Will gets probated, the estate is distributed, the heirs/distributees do whatever they want with their shares - including sharing their share with the person who was not included in the Will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disputing UPS Freight Bill [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a product delivered via UPS LTL Freight for my business. The freight charges were paid in full prior to shipment. They attempted to deliver it to my Residential address, but no one was home, so they left. I called to have them redeliver the product, so they came back the same day...

Disputing on line ? [ 8 Answers ]

I am disputing on line and had some things taken off all the CRAs, but I was also told that they can reoccur in 30 days!! I also wrote some collection agency's dispute/verification letters and noticed that they appear on my report / disputed by consumer. But the thing is if they come back...

Disputing Dr. Bills [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can dispute DR. bills with the credit bureaus. I have heard that it is even illegal for it to be on there. Is this true. I have disputed Dr. bills before and they sent me a letter back saying they can't even remove it. Can anyone help me with this question?

Disputing lien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Fr_Chuck, WOW! That was quick. Thank you. She got this judgement after I'd moved. I knew nothing about it until Feb of this year. I didn't go to court because I knew nothing about it.

View more questions Search