johnelkhornm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 03:18 PM
    MTD rear wheel removal
    I have a MTD yardman 18.5/46 shift on the go lawn tractor
    Engine info
    42 A 707
    1550 01
    95103.15B

It has a 1" axle and the wheel appears to be held on with a washer and cotter key.
    There is a key way that keeps it from spinning on the axle.
    I cannot get the wheel off. Is there a special tool for this job.

Replies will be appreciated
    Thanks
    John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 03:36 PM

Remove the cotter pin and washer, spray WD 40 on the axle, raise the rear end up on a jack and hit the center of the axle with a drift punch and mallet. This will break loose the rust on the keyway, spray again and try to pull off with both hands, repeat if necessary.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 11:35 AM

Hi,
    Not to disagree, but WD40 is a water-displaceant, and PB Blaster, NutBuster and Larchs make far better products. The final two do an amazing job of penetrating and dissolving rust. Be sure to grease or antiseize the axle at reassembly.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD rear wheel removal [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 18 horse MTD Lawn tractor about 15 years old. I need to remove the rear wheel to change the tire. I have removed the cotter pin from the axel and the washer, but I can't get it to come off. It appears that they're may be a key pin of some sort on the axel. I don't have the model number I...

Riding mower rear wheel removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a troy built riding mower that I need to replace the tire. The model is a Y609H and is about 5 years old and I have not removed the wheels ever. I have removed the plastic cap and the bolt but it seems as though the rim is stuck on the axle. Any help would be appreciated.

Bad vibration through rear wheel? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there I have a 2001 xjr1300 and over the last few weeks I've started getting bad vibration through the back end fitted new chain and sprockets all in line new wheel bearings shocks OK it mainly happens about 60mph swingarm bushes OK to could the anti vibration plate or spring on the clutch...

Rear wheel won't come off/pin is stuck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding mower and am trying to take the rear wheel off to put it on another one that i am switching everything to and the pin has been pushed down too far. Have tried grease, wd40 and crow bar and hammer. But nothing will loosen it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can try?

How to Remove Rear Wheel [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove rear wheel from Murray riding mower that has a square key in the key slot.

View more questions Search