Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19yrs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Collection agencies and Statute of limitations
    I am being bothered by an agency. I told him today, after his 2nd call, that the statute of limitations had run out. He told me that Ontario, Canada does not have limitations. I found that it does.
    My main concern is that he asked me if I ever intended to pay this debt. I told him that I did not intend to get sick and not be able to work.
    Does this constitute agreeing to the debt? I don't even know what company he is calling on behalf of. They have never written to me and it is approximately 8 years old.
    I am on social assistance, disability, and have nothing of value. Should I be worried?
    thank you
    frostybabygurl Posts: 117, Reputation: 6

Nov 16, 2009, 06:44 PM

Hi there, I have worker both US and Canadian collections, I can tell you that the statute for your debt is 6 years. Now legally in Ontario, a collection agency MUST send you a letter and then wait 5 business days before contacting by phone. What you said doesn't agree or disagree to owing the debt. However making any payment arrangements or sending any funds does acknowledge the debt and makes the statute start all over again. You can write a Cease and Desist letter and send it priority mail, once they receive this they can no longer contact you and they can't put this on your credit report.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 06:58 PM

OK, collect people will lie and check, some will even record you saying something, esp the word yes and cut and paste it into you agreeing to pay.

So you should worry that you even wasted your time talking to them.

No phone talks with collections ever,
    Now the SOL only means they can't sue you in court, you do owe the debt and they may contact you forever to try and collect it
    19yrs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:35 AM

Thank you both

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency Statute of Limitations [ 15 Answers ]

I received a call out of the blue from a collection agency looking to collect on a loan I defaulted on and never repaid. This loan has since been removed from my credit record due to our local Statute of Limitations (6 years). Can this collection agency still collect? Are they still within...

Texas: Debt Collection Law Suit & Statute of Limitations [ 0 Answers ]

I live in Texas. I have an outstanding debt for collection of an unpaid balance on a car loan. The car was totaled in a wreck and the insurance company paid all but ~$6k. The car loan company (Chrysler Financial) sent me a letter on July 9, 2004, requesting me to pay the remaining balance in...

Statute of limitations for collection [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to calculate the statute of limitation for collection. I have heard that you must begin with the beginning of your delinquency, not the last payment that was made. Help

Collection agency and statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help please. I have been contacted by a collection agency trying to collect on a debt 9 years ago with ICBC regarding some vehicle insurance. I was also contacted approx. 7 years ago by another collections agency for the same reason and I did send them numerous post dated cheques to...

View more questions Search