Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Win2003 and Advanced Networking.
    I am looking to set up an advanced network. I'd rather not discuss the specifics, but rather tell you what I need. I want to connect my high speed modem directly to my server, which has 2 Ethernet adapters. My server will have a fresh install of either Win 2003 (Prefered) or Win 2008. I want to use it like a router. I am pretty sure it can handle all of the necessary protocols.

I am not sure exactly how it works, but here is what I think it will involve:
    NAT pass through
    DHCP
    DNS
    Gateway

I am assuming it will need more than that. I am wondering if I could get more layman info on these, rather than howto's. I think if I could get it to offer these services on one adapter and be able to get it to connect to the internet on the other adapter then the service adapter could be hooked up to a switch and in turn have other computers connect to it. It would use DHCP to allocate the configuration settings, NAT to allocate port settings and forwarding, DNS to resolve host names within the network and intranet domains, and the Gateway to tunnel traffic to the internet.

I would rather have this type of control versus a router because this computer will be part of a larger network and also I need it to offer other services which I am already familiar with.

Also I was wondering if it were possible to use the DNS service in order to handle the internal Domains and point HTTP Domain requests to the proper IP and also to pass all other requested HTTP Domain requests to a public DNS server. Say, 4.2.2.1. Please correct me where ever I am wrong, I am still learning and don't quite understand all of this. I will eventually be working with linux to achieve the same type of scenario.

Thank You in Advance.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Nov 11, 2009, 01:56 PM

It looks to me like you know everything you need, and you just have to set it up. The NAT and Gateway parts, you will find under Routing and Remote Access, which you may need to install from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. DHCP and DNS can be found in the same place, though you can also find them in the "Configure Your Server" wizard that pops up after you install windows server. From there, it's just configuring those three services, which you can find instructions for on the Microsoft website, and several other sites you can Google for, or you can post back here with specific questions if you need help setting them up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win2003 server network [ 1 Answers ]

I have two win2k servers which I want connect each other in the same local network. It has Two Different DC, same subnets. First server has user login accounts,applications,second server has a exchange server. I want first server get connected with the second server to operate the exchange...

USB hard disk in WIN2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir I have installed win2003 enterprise edition on my PC Priveously it was xp proffetional. My usb harddisk is detecting in win-2003 but it is not showing in My Computer.But it was showing in Win XP. What I have to do for this Problem. Give me the solution as early as posible.

Google advanced advanced search [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that not all special operators work together in Google advanced searching... How can I do a Google search for webpages containing a word in the url AND a term on the page? For example, at stgabrielradio.com homepage is the term "monsignor lane". ... so if I were searching for...

Cisco router and Win2003 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've a big problem and I hope that someone can help me, I've the win2003 server, with DHCP,DNS,RIS,RRAS... etc configured and Two NIC cards, one for the Lan and one for the Wan and I've a static IP address from my ISP. The problem is I've an ADSL line for internet configured on...

How to connect SUSE 9.2 to Win2003 ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Does anyone know how to configure suse 9.2 OS to connect to a windows 2003 AD ? And if possible , how to make suse sees the other computers in a win-xp workgroup computers ? Greetings :D

View more questions Search