Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
    What does Islam say about people of other faiths?
    I am on a quest to better understand Islam. I, like much of the world I suppose, struggle to separate the difference between "devout" Islamic faith and "extremist" Islamic faith.

I have read in various places opinions that anyone who accepts non-muslims as equals, friends, spouses, guests is defiling Islam in so doing. I have also read that there is no possibility for a devout Muslim to live in peace with non-Muslims as to do so is to tolerate worship of entities other than Allah, which would be considered blasphemous. In other places I have read that these beliefs are not a matter of devotion, but are misunderstandings and are "extremist" ideals imposed upon Islam improperly.

Is peace among religions a possible consideration for a devout Muslim, and can it be achieved by individuals of the faith without comprimising on what they have been taught?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
    Personally;
    Having lived within a community of mixed faiths, I have friends who are of other faiths.

The main thing is I would not be participating in any of their activities related to worship,faith or beliefs which are unislamic.

About marriage- in Islam , men are allowed to marry women of the Christian or Jewish faith as they are considered to be "People of the book".
    Muslim women marry men only of the Islamic faith, the reason is that when it comes to rearing children, our faiths are very important and men being considered the head of the household has a say in how the children are brought up, that is they must be taught the belief in One Almighty Creator and taught to worship as muslims.

The difficulty arises from having non muslim friends is when we muslims consider all and every aspect of our lives to be lived as the best muslims we can be.
    As many non muslim friends enjoy alcohol,may eat pork, may have relationships outside of marriage etc etc.
    As muslim we would have to stay away from such events/acts and by keeping close friends who practice such becomes difficult because close friends normally hang out with each other most of the time and tend to join in the same activities.
    EDITEd to add- It is advised to do the same with muslims who practice such activities which are unislamic.

Muslims are always advised to be just and work on keeping others from being harmed by one's hand,or tongue.

Qur'an - Hud 11:85
    "And O my people! Give full measure and weight in justice and reduce not the things that are due to the people, and do not commit mischief in the land, causing corruption."

Qur'an - Hud 11:113
    "And incline not toward those who do wrong, lest the Fire should touch you, and you have no protectors other than Allâh, nor you would then be helped"

Qur'an - al-Mumtahinah 60:8-9
    “Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity. It is only as regards those who fought against you on account of religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and helped to drive you out, that Allaah forbids you to befriend them. And whosoever will befriend them, then such are the Zaalimoon (wrongdoers those who disobey Allaah”

Islam Question and Answer - Principles and guidelines for Muslims? relations with non-Muslims
    Islam Question and Answer - Giving sadaqah (charity) to non-Muslims

Hope the information was useful.

mdhasi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 05:13 AM

Thank you firmbeliever

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Islam FAQ [ 16 Answers ]

Six Articles of Faith of every Muslim- To believe in: 1-Allah 2-His Angels 3-His Books Surah Al-Baqarah (2:253) “Say ( O Muslims ), " We believe in Allâh and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrâhim ( Abraham ), Ismâ'il ( Ishmael ), Ishâque ( Isaac...

Re. "Why can't people of different faiths accept one another?" [ 2 Answers ]

The topic "Why can't people of different faiths accept one another?" was closed Closing comment : This thread has gotten way off topic and there is too much bickering going on here. Therefore, the thread is closed. With all respect : if the topic had been closed by Admin himself or by the...

Why can't people of different faiths accept one another? [ 143 Answers ]

I was actually going to stay away from the religious discussions board, it was starting to give me an ulcer ;), but I've met so many kind caring people there that I decided to start my own thread. Why can't people of different faiths, different beliefs, accept one another? I used to be a...

Islam in the USA [ 4 Answers ]

Will the intra-Islamic divisions lead to Sunni-Shia violent confrontation in the USA ? The American Spectator

View more questions Search