Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Nov 10, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Had surgery 5 days ago.
    On 11/05/09 I had surgery on the palm of my hand to remove a huge cyst that was pressing on my nerves and tendons, causing numbness in my fingertips and weakness in my hand.

When I sent home, I was told not to take off the dressing until I came back for my follow-up on the 17th. It is like gauze material, and then I have an ace bandage sort of thing that I can tighten/loosen as needed. It's a rather huge bandage with a lot of bulk in my palm, so that I cannot bend it. I was, however, told to keep moving my fingers so they don't get stiff.

As of now, I have re-gained feeling in all my fingers except for the middle one, and they're all still slightly swollen.

I haven't yet needed to take any of the pain meds they prescribed, although there are short bursts of intense, sharp pain at the incision.

Now that you the background, I shall get to my question!

My dressing has a sort of funny smell to it. I can peer down in there a little and see a bit of what appears to be dry blood. I can see a piece of bandage that appears to be a little yellow. And I know I must've sweated in it, especially when I have to shower wearing a bag over my arm. The smell is weird. Not necessarily putrid, but kind of like stinky feet I would say. Part of it may be the smell of the bandage itself mixing w/everything. Note: I have NOT gotten it wet at any point.

This smell may be normal since its been wrapped on my hand and lower arm for 5 days, but since this is my first time being bandaged, I would like to be sure! I have to wear it for 7 more days!

I appreciate your time and advice!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 06:30 PM

Usually the patient changes bandages at least once a day for that type of wound (incision). According to my infectious diseases doctor, a clean, moist wound heals much faster than one that is ignored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Fired for not revealing criminal charge from 25 years ago on employment app. [ 4 Answers ]

#1. I was fired from my last job due to a criminal background check report showed I did not reveal a charge of disorderly conduct from 25 yrs ago on the employment application. Actually the charge they came up with was for obstructing justice. That was not correct. After almost a year of me...

My Sister lost partener few days ago but Wife wants everything [ 6 Answers ]

Thought maybe someone could advise. My sister has been with her partner for 5 years lived together for this period and he raised her son as his own.Sadly he passed away a few days ago , this issue of money has already arouse as he was still married and never divorced he also had a son with his wife...

Al Qaeda is "considerably operationally stronger than a year ago' [ 13 Answers ]

Al Qaeda is "considerably operationally stronger than a year ago'' and has "regrouped to an extent not seen since 2001,'' the official said, paraphrasing the report's conclusions. "They are showing greater and greater ability to plan attacks in Europe and the United States.'' Scary isn't it,...

View more questions Search