Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Hey muddy, I was trying to think how I might respond to the comment that you made, when you said:

How does that work? How is the person you chose to love at the time a mirror of yourself. I look back at my relationship and they are nothing like me. I have to disagree with this
    Everything we do in our lives reflects ourselves - our values, our likes, dislikes, our emotions, our bad and good bits.

As an analogy, think of a house - we fill it with things that we like and that please us, bits of our past, mementos, practical things, things we love and perhaps things we want to be. Most people would say that a house is a mirror of our personality and that the way it is decorated and the things we put in it reflects who we are.

So, why would a relationship be any different? We choose people to relate to that reflect ourselves – our likes, dislikes, bits of our past (father/mother/sibling issues), things we want to be, etc.

How could a relationship not mirror back to us who we are? Bad and good bits. We’re the ones doing the choosing……
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:44 PM

Some great posts on this thread but I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the Sex aspect yet :cool:
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Nov 10, 2009, 05:54 PM

My answers have been given from a stand I hold now. I didn't always put stock in relationships. I had a very different view, one maybe closer to the one you hold. In time, my additude changed. And with that my feelings. I fell asleep last night thinking of the time I was your age. I too, was a young, single, attractive, single mother... I quite frankly, had no time for anymore of the 'bull***t drama' that I had already encountered. I think in time I healed, or just plain forgot, the sting a bad relationship can cause. Of course I made better choices, and forgave myself for the bad ones. This is what I fell asleep thinking about...
    This was right after I wrote 'better to of lost in love than to have never loved at all'... When my mindset was as yours, I would have rolled my eyes at such a comment.

(turning 40 on the 21st... shhhh)
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Some great posts on this thread but I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned the Sex aspect yet :cool:
    Oh Dneirf you and I know just as well that you don't need to be in a relationship to have sex.

As for you Rockie thanks for that post. I like it when people can relate themselves with the OP. Thanks!

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Oh Dneirf you and I know just as well that you don't need to be in a relationship to have sex.

Sarah
    Ha Ha of course... BUT how many people do you know who would get into a Relationship if they knew there wasn't going to be any?? :cool:
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Ha Ha of course........................BUT how many people do you know who would get into a Relationship if they knew there wasn't going to be any ??? :cool:
    I don't know Friend, just read some of the posts in the sexuality forum! There are lots of people having not much sex!
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I dunno Friend, just read some of the posts in the sexuality forum! There are lots of people having not much sex!
    Very true Gem , I was just making a point that would I suppose relate to the majority of people I know at the very beginning of a Relationship. Of course there will always be exceptions.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 09:57 PM
    Ha Ha of course........................BUT how many people do you know who would get into a Relationship if they knew there wasn't going to be any ??? :cool:
    Hi, friend4u178!

I know quite a few, and that includes me!

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
    I don't feel like reading all the other posts, sorry everyone.

So, here's my take on this.

Stage I: In love.
    "Oh I can't wait to see him/her"
    "She/he is so amazing, I think he/she is the one"
    "I can't breath without you baby"
    Stage one is the getting to know someone stage, the learning to like someone stage, the "my God he/she is really great and I want to be with them all the time" stage. Everyone starts here, because every relationship has to start somewhere.

Stage II: Starting to see eachother's flaws, still in love
    "I don't really like it how he/she interrupts me"
    "She/he is so inconsiderate, they always eat all of the ____"
    This is when you've known each other a while and the "Oh my God he/she is so wonderful" phase is starting to wear off. You start to see each other as human beings, not just some perfect God/Godess with the great smile and neat hair.

Stage III: feeling uneasy about relationships, doubts, arguements start.
    "Why he/she always late and full of excuses"
    "He/she is a little controlling, do I want this?"
    I never went through this stage. Personally, I think this is a deal breaker right here. If you have this many doubts then there's either something going on, or there's something wrong with you. If you cannot trust someone, if they're controlling, then leave. Trust and the way you're treated are major in a relationship.

Stage IV: arguements continue. dissatifaction in relationship
    "You could really pick up the phone and call me when your late"
    "Why are you always asking me questions when I come home? Don't you trust me"
    This stage is also common. As human beings we're all different, have different ideas, opinions, backgrounds and plans for the future. When two people get together in a relationship it's often hard to balance both personalities. Arguments happen, it's solving them, compromising that makes a relationship strong. As for the phone call. If I had a dime every time my husband didn't call and I sat at home worrying, I'd be rich. He just forgets, even though I scream at him when he gets home. Trust is earned. Questions are natural. Maybe you're reading too much into the questions.

Stage V: either giving it another shot or the break up.
    Hubby and I have never been at this stage either. We've always worked together to stay together, so there is no breaking up or giving it another shot, we're still on the first bullet. ;)

What the heck is the point.
    No one can answer that but you. If you don't see a point then that's probably why your relationships aren't working. Those of us that do see a point work every day to keep our relationships alive, healthy, happy and productive.

I love sharing my life with someone that is not only my husband, father of my children, but also my best friend, lover, life partner in every way. He's the person whose shoulder I cry on when I'm sad. He's the person I complain to when I'm mad. He's been there for all the good and bad times of our lives together, and some of them have been pretty bad, and we stuck together.

Soul mate? I don't know if I believe in that either, but he's the person that I love and the person I choose to be with. It is a choice. I could look for something else. I could probably finding someone just as good, maybe better. I don't, because I'm happy with my life, I made a commitment to my husband and I don't plan on breaking it, either does he.

We're lifers and we like it that way. :)

Maybe I'm being a Bitter Britney or Negative Nancy... but does anyone else see it this way?
    I'm sure that others see it this way. Other people that have had one failed relationship after another.

Negative? Yes, a bit. I'd say you're more jaded, also expecting the worst, so you're not surprised when it happens and probably, in a way, make it happen, because you don't expect to be happy with someone else.

You're still young, so give it some time.

Like I said, only you know what you want. If you want love badly enough, you'll find it. :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    He actually only needs 25 cents to make up for the quarter his son swallowed. :eek:
    HEY!! What about the two x-rays (so far) , and the doctor visits? This quarter is going to cost someone(he's double covered) $25,000. At LEAST.

And his mother and I, nervous breakdowns.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 02:41 AM

The whole point I think is to share your life with someone who you love and who loves you.

Its not just about sex and wonderful communication,sometimes its just about having a person you love to share a movie and popcorn with.Someone who makes you a cup of tea or wipes your tears.Someone you can tell anything to and they don't bat an eye of judgment.

It's the small comforts that keep you going after the years start piling up.

The gripes I had about my BF 12 years ago,I still have them today but now I just shake my head and know his little quirks are not deal breakers and I don't really let it get into my head.

You're a smart,funny beautiful woman and someone is going to take you by storm yet.Don't give up on love hon,its what curls your toes and puts a bounce in your step :)

EDIT: You Utube is funny! LMAO at the crazy sisters cartoon !
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 03:17 AM
    Originally posted by artlady:

Very true, Alone and lonely are not synonymous.
    Hey, artlady!

I think that you've really caught my "drift" here! What you've stated is so very, very true!

In the recent years of my life, I've come to realize that I'm very rarely, if ever, "lonely". That being, because I'm just not the kind of person who needs to have someone around, all the time. But, due to some things that have happened in my life, there are many times that I feel "alone".

I'm very social and love to get up and lead people in various activities! When it comes to my private time with myself though, I much prefer to be alone...

Some people think that there is something wrong with themselves if they aren't in some kind of "intimate" relationship with someone else. It's a void that they seem to need to "fill".

I'm not the kind of person to judge others. What a person needs and wants is a matter of personal choice (and, sometimes not) based upon how they've been brought up and the way that they've been "made".

I guess it all depends on what "trips a persons' trigger"! If they constantly feel the need to be with someone, then, to me, that is just the way that they are. If the way that they are is causing a problem for themselves or others, then, I feel and think that they have some problems that need to be addressed so that they can function with themselves and among others without there being the "problems" so that they can live their lives to the fullest that they can to be the happiest and most content person that they can be.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 03:19 AM
    I'll have to check out your YouTube video when I have a faster connection, Sarah!

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hey, artlady!

I think that you've really caught my "drift" here! What you've stated is so very, very true!

In the recent years of my life, I've come to realize that I'm very rarely, if ever, "lonely". That being, because I'm just not the kind of person who needs to have someone around, all the time. But, due to some things that have happened in my life, there are many times that I feel "alone".

I'm very social and love to get up and lead people in various activities! When it comes to my private time with myself though, I much prefer to be alone...

Some people think that there is something wrong with themselves if they aren't in some kind of "intimate" relationship with someone else. It's a void that they seem to need to "fill".

I'm not the kind of person to judge others. What a person needs and wants is a matter of personal choice (and, sometimes not) based upon how they've been brought up and the way that they've been "made".

I guess it all depends on what "trips a persons' trigger"! If they constantly feel the need to be with someone, then, to me, that is just the way that they are. If the way that they are is causing a problem for themselves or others, then, I feel and think that they have some problems that need to be addressed so that they can function with themselves and among others without there being the "problems" so that they can live their lives to the fullest that they can to be the happiest and most content person that they can be.

Thanks!
    I learned a very valuable lesson about personal growth when I learned I did not "need" someone to complete me.

I think if more people had that personal power they would not settle and would live healthier and fuller lives.

I applaud you for having learned to love yourself and be happy in your own skin.

It is a blessing that many people will never learn and they will just flit from one meaningless relationship to another searching for that illusive sense of completeness.

All they need do is look inside.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Nov 11, 2009, 04:01 AM

I agree that they are pointless. Asking myself lately why am I going to get married? It is indeed pointless. Ups n downs and this and that for what?
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDK View Post
    I agree that they are pointless. Asking myself lately why am i going to get married? It is indeed pointless. Ups n downs and this and that for what?
    Hi, LJDK!

I'm just curious about if you've read any of the other posts on this thread, please?

Thanks!
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Nov 11, 2009, 04:52 AM

My response was to that of the 1st post. There for not applicable to read any other posts regardless of changing opinion etc.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 10:10 AM

Alty & Artsy thanks for the wonderful responses :)

I really like hearing your opinions :)

Alty it made sense what you said:

I'm sure that others see it this way. Other people that have had one failed relationship after another.

Negative? Yes, a bit. I'd say you're more jaded, also expecting the worst, so you're not surprised when it happens and probably, in a way, make it happen, because you don't expect to be happy with someone else.

You're still young, so give it some time.

Like I said, only you know what you want. If you want love badly enough, you'll find it.
    You took some time on writing that post and I really happy you did! Perhaps it is my age. I remember 5 years ago I hated children and I didn't want any... and now well I have a 2 year old whom I love so much.

Time does change things!

As for you Artykins I like the part where you said:
    You're a smart,funny beautiful woman
    Haha kidding.

No not really, I actually liked that part.

Okay, seriously, I like the part where you said you liked my youtube-- haha I'll stop.

When it comes to your posts they are almost always heartfelt [does that make sense?]- you answered my question but in a way that your agreeing with me but then not... [I know that didn't make sense].

Thanks to all of the responses everyone!

Sarah
    johnglen Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2009, 12:19 PM

Well, I like what gemini said, and sadly we are only hear for about 88 years or so, so if you hit it off with someone great!
    Have some fun get some pleasure no big deal.
    Enjoy what you can I think. People need to be honest and realize sex isn't everything and sometimes its not meant to be, other times it is. So its up to you weather you want to continue it or not.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry your love life has been so miserable. I don't know what's happened to you in the past, but it's really had an impact on your attitude.

You may not think so, but one day there will be a Prince Charming come into your life. You are right - he probably won't be perfect and he'll probably make lots of mistakes, but he'll love you and be there for you through the good and the bad. Until you find him just chill! Give life a chance - it's really not that bad! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------

Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events. Robert A. Heinlein

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Age and Relationships [ 22 Answers ]

Hi guys and gals, I have a question or interesting topic to start here. When would you all say would be an appropriate age to start thinking about a serious relationship? I had my first serious (i.e long term) relationship (which as some of you know lasted 3 years) when I was 23. I was not...

How do I get my ex boyfriend to come back to me, or is it just pointless to even try? [ 7 Answers ]

My ex and I have dated for 3 years and been engaged for 2 of those years. At the time we also lived together and things were going so well until I found out that I was going to have to move to NC by the end of that year because of my job. And that he was going to move back home with his mother in...

View more questions Search