Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twistedps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 05:53 PM
    freely falling objects
    Hi, I am having a lot of trouble finding out a formula for this problem:
    a baseball falling takes 4.0s to go the last 20meters before it smashes into the ground. What is the total height from which the baseball has fallen?

I thought it would be something similar to y = Vot + 1/2 a*t^2
    which would be y = (-4.9m^2) * 4.0s but I don't KNOW this isn't correct to get the total height from which it was dropped...
    can anyone give me any advice on this?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 02:22 AM
    That's one very slowly falling baseball.. dropping from 0 m/s velocity it should go 78.4 m in 4 s. Is there other information? Are we considering viscous drag? Is this ball falling on Earth? It is being thrown upwards?

you need to work out how fast the ball hits the ground, and from that how far it has fallen under constant acceleration, but with g=9.8, your question doesn't make sense to me.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 8, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Don't assume that Vo is zero, there's nothing in the question that implies it is. In fact, the question implies that Vo is not zero.

Use your equation y = Vot + 1/2at^2. You have all of the information except for Vo. Then, all you have to do is figure out how far the ball must have fallen under g to attain Vo.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 03:43 AM
    I think my point is that even if you dropped it from 0 m/s, it would travel 78.4 m in 4 s, so it's impossible for an object, under earth's gravity, in a non-viscous situation to fall only 20 m in 4 s. Now if you threw it upwards 10m and it came down 10m, that might take longer, but 1) it'd be about 2 s and 2) I wouldn't call it falling 20 m.

How about if we threw it up to a height of 20 m, then the total upward and downward journey time would approach 4 s, but that isn't falling 20 m, is it? It's freefalling within a 20 m range. In that case the answer would be 0m "a ball falling from 0 m would take 4 s to travel the last 20 m before hitting the ground (as long as it was propelled upwards at 19.6 m/s)"

Please say I've misunderstood something here.

The question confuses me.

You're right that that's how you would get the right answer, but I don't see how the answer would make sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Everything is falling apart... [ 32 Answers ]

Okay... so I don't know exactly where this question belongs so I am putting it here. Please bear in mind that I need any and all points of view here. My husband told me today about an idea he had about earning money. He said that if he goes to work for a company in another province, he could...

Free Falling Objects [ 1 Answers ]

The question states: Someone throws a ball straight down to to the floor. If the ball bounces straight up and returns to the floor 2.5s after first striking it, what was the ball's greatest height above the floor? I have no idea how to go about answering this question. If anyone can help, that...

I'm falling apart.. . [ 9 Answers ]

I don't know if anyone has read my first post I listed, but over the weekend, I had a nervous breakdown and went to the hospital. Luckily, I didn't have to stay because I'm not suicidal, but they did prescribe some anti-depressants and some sleeping pills. I just feel truly heartbroken and on...

Falling in Love... [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I've liked this guy since like 2nd grade. And I dinally just told him like 5-6 months ago while walking home with him (except he didn't know I was walking home with him, he just happened to think we were walking in the same direction) and then when he turned to his neighborhood I said OK...

View more questions Search