Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Converting lp gas water heater to natural gas
    Is it possible to convert a lp gas water to a natural gas water heater or will I need to get a new heater?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 05:38 PM

If I were you, I would ask my propane supplier if that can be done, but that would mean they would be losing a customer. So call your gas company and see if it is possible. There may be certain regulations you will have to overcome which will cost you money. IMO.

Tick
    RICHARD0051 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 04:44 PM
    In order to change from propane to natural gas, you will need to change the orface. Natural gas has a larger orface opening than does propane. It takes more natural gas to heat the water, because prppane burns hotter.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
    Hi Joane

As Richard indicated, it can be done... just need to change the LP orifice to natural gas orifice.

Call the manufacturer of your unit... they should have the proper orifices and instructions readily available.

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier gas furnace code 31 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Carrier gas (propane) furnace 58MCA100-11116 series 111. It shows a code 31. The evacuation blower runs for a short time then kicks off. The burners do not ignite. To date I have: replaced the pressure switch, checked in and out lines to the pressure switch for obstruction,...

Amana gas dryer PLG8409W2 won't ignite [ 0 Answers ]

I have an Amana gas dryer model #PLG8409W2 that won't dry. When I opened the front to look at the heating mechanism, I noted that the igniter will turn on and produce a nice red-orange glow, but it never ignites. It would appear that the gas flow doesn't turn on. Everything else on the dryer...

Gas boiler [ 0 Answers ]

Had a new condensing boiler fitted a few weeks ago. Water fine heating fine down stairs but up stairs not good. What is the problem.

Gas water heater pilot light won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

The pilot light on our State Censible gas water heater will not stay lit... it is not the thermacouple and it is protected from drafts. We light it daily... we get enough hot water for about 2 showers and a load of dishes. What could be causing this problem?

Gas water heater [ 3 Answers ]

My pilot light has been relit twice. According to the person doing the job, he confirms that after ten minutes, the pilot has remained on. However it seems to have go off after this period. What does this mean and what can a person expect to pay in costs for parts and labor? Thank you!

View more questions Search